Traveling to Germany and Sweden - Looking for recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley_Bob

Reaction score
Hey gang, this Saturday, I am hopping in a plane bound for Germany! It's a short trip, and I'll be in Hamburg, Dresden, and Berlin. The next Friday, I'm taking a puddle jumper up to Stockholm for a day before I fly home.

The itinerary is pretty packed, but I am certain I can find some time for beer! As they say, when in Germany, drink as the Germans do! I would love some recommendations for local beer I can sample in each city. Of course, I've had the big names in German brewing that make it over to America; I want to find what I haven't tried! And drinking favorites fresh will be no tragedy either. I know Sweden isn't as famous for beer (thanks to its absurd alcohol tax), but I'm hopeful I can find something worthwhile.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I would recommend getting on the Subway to the station Slussen. 5 minutes walk and you will find Omnipollo bar. Great place and fantastic Swedish craftbeer.

I forgot . You really need to go to the old town. Station Gamla stan. Fantastic surroundings in this 11th century part of town. Go to the pub Monks. You will enjoy their own beer in a 500 year old cellar. Great place.

This is good to know!

My understanding of Swedish beer culture has been that everyone in the south goes to Germany to buy beer, and everyone in the north homebrews. I guess it makes sense that craft beer can come out of that, but I imagine competitiveness would remain a problem. Regardless, I am looking forward to trying some Swedish beer!

It depends on what kind of brews you prefer. Omnipollo is a Hipster place and makes worldclass Ipa's and Belgiens but you can find his beer in the US. So i must say Monks not only for their good beer but for the surroundings.
Its like drinking beer in a dungeon.

Back