Reproducing Briess LME with grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmetheus

Reaction score
I am thinking of going all grain after a couple of success big beer brews.

I've been using a Belgian ale extract recipe I'd like to reproduce with grain as I like it a great deal, and this would be a good learning benchmark for me as I can keep doing it without worrying about pitching, but master the release of grain sugar. +)

Any advice?

Yes - don't bet on horses.

Seriously, what kind of malt extract are you using? Is it Pilsner-malt based, Maris Otter, "dark", or wheat ME? Most extracts are high on the base malt with some Carapils thrown in, and then "other stuff", depending on what kind of ME it is (as noted above).

They list the composition of most of their extracts here, except for the amber. I assume where it just lists "base malt" it would be their 2-row Brewer's malt, otherwise they name the specific base malt like Pilsen or Pale Ale.

Sweet thanks guys.

LME portion of the recipe is basically two cans CBW Golden light, and one CBW pilsen light.

I will see if I can puzzle it out on the links you provided

Ok they give everything in percentages.

The rough total amount I need to replace three 1.5 kg cans of LME would 6 KG?

Of which 4kg is Malted base barely, what ever that it (2-row Brewer's malt @chickypad ?), and 2kg pilsen, with a tad of Carapils® Malt say 0.12kg?

Last edited:
That looks right, assuming about 75% efficiency. With all grain of course you are now free to choose any base malt you want (for example with a Belgian ale you may want to consider using all pilsner with some other malt like munich or aromatic mixed in) but yes I suspect they would be using their standard Brewer's malt when they say "base".

Back