Infection/off flavor problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had 2 batches with those little flakey-ice-berg looking floaties, and they had an off flavor like you describe.

To remedy I started mixing my star san with distilled water, and threw away the fermentation bucket, hoses, and racking equipment that was used and infected and bought new.

I started to boil a bit longer, and made sure that i dissembled spigots and other equipment and washed with PBW and boiled whatever I could.

The issue hasn't come around anymore since then.

If i have used glass big mouth bubblers for these beers should i get rid of them also? I have also kegged the beers (stainless steel obviously). If this is going to be my plan of action i will get rid of the kegerator hoses too, but what about the kegs?

If i have used glass big mouth bubblers for these beers should i get rid of them also? I have also kegged the beers (stainless steel obviously). If this is going to be my plan of action i will get rid of the kegerator hoses too, but what about the kegs?

I would only get rid of plastic fermentees and vinyl hoses.

You can sanitize glass well (look up some techniques from others), and stainless you can soak in hot water.

Personally I use silicone hoses that I boil then sanitize before use.

Definitely don't toss glass and your stainless kegs! :)

Are you using a secondary? If so, quit. Most often infections happen when you secondary and leave too much headspace.

I bet you find your culprit in a spigot, hose, or auto siphon. They are hard to clean well.

Latest posts

Back