Less than vigorous boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dendron8

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's my burner, my propane or the wind, but the heat source only got me to a mild boil. I boiled for 65 minutes.extract recipe red ipa. I'm using an anvil outdoor burner. I did a full boil.

Og was 1.070 (normal), and I rehydrated 1 pack of safale 05. The final volume was well over 5 gal (probably closer to 6) . Seems I may not have gotten enough boil off. The wine thief pulled out some trub that looked like it might be undissolved hops. It's fermenting now...

Is my beer ok? Is there anything I should do?

I use a homemade burner that is for like a jet engine than a propane burner so my boils are flippin outrageous. A buddy of mine just uses his stove and doesn't have a very vigorous boil. I usually start with 6.5 gallons and am to the point where I rarely have to add any water afterwards.

Were you using hop pellets?

I had the same problem last weekend. Windy day. Once I built a makeshift windshield using my dumpster and the dog house it boiled normal.

What did the hops look like? Mine usually end up as green mud at the bottom of the boil kettle

It really shouldn't matter much. The difference in temp on slow boil or rolling boil is just a degree or 2,which won't make much difference in hot break as it happens around 185. Just heard a brew strong podcast where they talked about it. You also don't want to boil extract aggressively or to long, it can scortch.

I prefer a moderate boil; it doesn't affect the beer quality. You just need to get consistency so the pre-boil volumes are right.

I'm not sure if it's my burner, my propane or the wind, but the heat source only got me to a mild boil. I boiled for 65 minutes.extract recipe red ipa. I'm using an anvil outdoor burner. I did a full boil.

Og was 1.070 (normal), and I rehydrated 1 pack of safale 05. The final volume was well over 5 gal (probably closer to 6) . Seems I may not have gotten enough boil off. The wine thief pulled out some trub that looked like it might be undissolved hops. It's fermenting now...

Is my beer ok? Is there anything I should do?

Were the jets all lit up and burning with a blue flame? If not you might want to adjust the air intake.

Hops are vegetable matter and never dissolve. The pellets will break up in the wort though. When you boil your wort it is always at the same temperature, defined as 212F at sea level (standard pressure, cooler at altitude). When you do a vigorous boil you are mostly turning some of the water into steam. That steam can carry away DMS but only if the grain you use has a lot of SMM, the precursor to DMS. My grains apparently do not have much SMM because I don't detect DMS (creamed corn flavor) in my beer and I do a gentle boil.

@rhys333 I did notice some of the holes were not consistently producing flame.. A few of them were flickering on and off.

A gentle rolling boil is actually preferrable to a raging wide open burner. You're just evaporating water and wasting fuel otherwise.

Back