Reusing the trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senormac

Reaction score
So I brewed a batch of Dark Stout on Dec. 10th and bottled it a month later. After syphoning the beer out, I put foil over the opening and put the carboy in the back room. Thing is, I got busy with other stuff and have never cleaned it OR taken the foil off the top.

My question is.... Does this stuff have any value at all ? Can I brew another batch and put it right in on top of this stuff with no yeast ? Would I want to ? Is it a lost cause ? Anyone have any experience with this ?

carboy%20w%20trub_zpsvqporwnz.jpg

I haven't done it with a stout. But the last few beers I've brewed, I racked off the yeast and trub and kegged them. Then just put the lid back on the fermentation bucket for a week or so until I brewed again (I did put the bucket back into the freezer/cooler where I ferment to keep it at the right temperature) and on the next brew day I poured the fresh new wort right on top. I will tell you the fermentation was CRAZY! And it completed in less than 48 hours on both of them.

The yeast may still be good to use with a starter but I wouldn't try it. Not because of an issue with yeast but the possibility of some mold or bacteria growth in the krausen ring and on the side walls of the fermentor.

Back