Galaxy smash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutchaser

Reaction score
Just got a 1/2 pound of Galaxy and was thinking of doing a smash with MO. I have never used Galaxy before but have heard good things. This is what I was thinking.
11 Maris otter
.50 once FWH
1 once @ 10
4 once whirlpool/ hop stand for 30 min
2.5 once dry hop

What do you think? Anyone have experience with a Galaxy smash? How was it? I also have a pound of mosaic and chinook so I could make a mix of those to but obviously that would not be a smash. So what do ya think?

I just did a Galaxy SMaSH with 10 lbs of pale malt from The Swaen. I did .5oz at 60 minutes 1oz at flameout 2oz at high krausen and 1 oz at terminal gravity. It's good but at the moment it has a grassy/minty quality to it that hopefully will diminish. It's only been in the keg a week.

I have never made a SMaSH with it, but I've used it about 75/25 with centennial, with galaxy being the 75%. It was responsible for the best pale ale I have ever made. Very good dry hopping and late addition hop. Go for it.

I have also done an all Galaxy pale ale (not SM but ASH) that was excellent.

Id SKIP the FWH addition..

Then drop the dry hops to an even 2 oz.... other than that looks perfect to me!

Ok so I changed my mind on the SMASH and am gonna do an all Galaxy pale ale. I just bought the grain so am all set.
10 lbs 2 row
1 lb Vienna
1 lb white wheat
.5 oz Galaxy FWH
1 oz Galaxy @ 10
4 oz Galaxy hop stand for 30 min
2.5 oz dry hop
Safale 05 yeast

I'll report back when it's all done! Thanks for the responses.

Hey bro, i want to smash with galaxy too, but i heard that a bitter of galaxy is a little ''harsh'' its that true?

Hey bro, i want to smash with galaxy too, but i heard that a bitter of galaxy is a little ''harsh'' its that true?

Yeah I have also heard that but I have never used them before so I'm not much help. I just got done brewing this so hopefully it turns out well!

Back