Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Off Taste Question

Old 04-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
kjung
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Off Taste Question

I am a relative new brewer, about to start batch #7, which will be my first partial mash, and I have noticed a subtle, almost iodine-like off taste in the last couple of batches, especially in a Red Ale, which was batch # 3. Any one have an idea what that may be ? Better yet, how I can avoid it in the future ?

Old 04-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't know what iodine tastes like to help you out.

How to Brew covers some common off-flavors and their sources:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

What's your sanitization like? Are you leaving behind some excess sanitizer that could be contributing to the taste?

Old 04-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l
I don't know what iodine tastes like to help you out.

How to Brew covers some common off-flavors and their sources:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

What's your sanitization like? Are you leaving behind some excess sanitizer that could be contributing to the taste?

I would have to assume that it tastes like it smells. the first time that I noticed it, I used the iodine sanitizing solution, and had my kids (teens) wash the bottles. I assumed that they just didn't rinse properly, but I have been using bleach ever sinse, and still notice a faint off taste.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjung
I would have to assume that it tastes like it smells. the first time that I noticed it, I used the iodine sanitizing solution, and had my kids (teens) wash the bottles. I assumed that they just didn't rinse properly, but I have been using bleach ever sinse, and still notice a faint off taste.
I use Idophor it is supposed to be no rinse I have nver had any off flavors, I cant see it being that. Does it taste like the vinyl tubing you transfer in?

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 04-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICLARK
I use Idophor it is supposed to be no rinse I have nver had any off flavors, I cant see it being that. Does it taste like the vinyl tubing you transfer in?
I uses Iodophor as well and don't get any flavors either...What dillution are you using Kjung? The recomended is 1 tbs/5 gallons of water. If you used a different dillution, you COULD possibly be getting some flavors from it...That is if you are using Iodophor....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-08-2008, 01:36 AM   #6
BeerSmith
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

I don't know if this will help, but here's another link on troubleshooting off flavors.

Iodophor should not be the cause - I use it all the time. As long as you use the recommended amount you should be fine.

Cheers!
Brad

Old 04-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I only used Iodophor a couple of times, and have been using bleach ever since. I'm starting to think that I may have to change the tubing that I've been using.

The only other person to notice this off taste is my g/f. and that was only after I pointed it out, so maybe I am either too anal about my tastes (nahh...not possible), or just crazy(not the first time THAT accusation has been made !)

Old 04-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #8
bigben
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you have been using bleach on your last few batches I think that would've gotten rid of any excess iodophor, so either you are a imaging the flavor or it's coming from something other than the old iodophor.