My soda is not carbonating in the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max384

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm here scratching my head. I have an 8 tap kegerator, and one of them is dedicated to soda. The soda keg is at 25 psi. The other 7 are at 12 psi. I have a three gauge regulator. One goes to an 8-way manifold for the beer. The other (the one set at 25 psi) goes to a 3-way manifold, which then goes to the soda keg. The other, of course, measures the pressure in the tank.

My soda has been in the keg for two weeks, and it's as flat as the day I put it in there. My first thought was that my gas quick disconnect wasn't attached correctly. However, I removed it, and put it back on, and then I purged it, and it is definitely on correctly.

I'm running the soda through a 25 foot 3/16" line. I've poured out two pints to make sure that it wasn't just flat soda in the line, and it isn't.

Anyone have any thoughts?

It must be a leak somewhere. Check all connections/valves/gaskets with some soapy water sprayed on. Pump the gas and where it starts to bubble is your leak.

It must be a leak somewhere. Check all connections/valves/gaskets with some soapy water sprayed on. Pump the gas and where it starts to bubble is your leak.

I already sprayed it down looking for leaks and didn't find anything.

I don't keg but am a technician and deal a lot with pneumatics. I suspect that you have a check valve reversed.

It's getting air, because when I purge with gas, it fills right back up. Also, if I leave the pressure relief valve open, gas will spill right out. But, this is a new manifold that I've never taken apart, so maybe it's on backwards... But I wouldn't expect any gas to flow through if it were reversed, would you?

25 psi sounds low for soda. Especially soda served at beer temps. That's probably less than 3.5 vol, I think soda is around 4. I would still however expect some noticeable carbonation though.

25 psi sounds low for soda. Especially soda served at beer temps. That's probably less than 3.5 vol, I think soda is around 4. I would still however expect some noticeable carbonation though.

Everything I read said soda should be between 3.5-4.0 vol. My kegerator is set at 38 F, which gives me 3.8 vols. But, there is zero carbonation. Not under-carbed... But un-carbed.

How large is the headspace roughly?
Have you tried force carbonation by rolling the keg? Then see if it stays carbed.

If there's a leak, your tank is being emptied. Noticed anything there?

I would have to agree, sounds like not enough PSI. Try the force suggestion from @IslandLizard and see if you get anything... roll that bad boy around like you would aerate your carboy.

Latest posts

Back