What is the right lager for me? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What is the right lager for me?

Old 04-07-2008, 02:14 AM   #11
solidghost
Recipes 

Feb 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yup, a low and constant temperatures are always needed in producing best tasting lagers!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #12
Bosh
Recipes 

Apr 2007
Seoul
Liked 124 Times on 84 Posts

I would recommend not starting out with a lager, they take longer and are harder to make than ales. If you like lager, your first beer should be a light golden ale as that'll taste pretty similar.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:03 AM   #13
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 517 Times on 416 Posts

You're in the UK and you insist on making a lager?

Don't let Orfy know where you live, he might come over and kick your ass.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 04-07-2008, 12:30 PM   #14
simon.f.doran
Recipes 

Apr 2008

so it is much harder to make larger then?

If i do make it, will i need to put it in a freezer, or can i just keep it outside in the cold garrage?

Simon

Old 04-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #15
Bosh
Recipes 

Apr 2007
Seoul
Liked 124 Times on 84 Posts

Lagers aren't necessarily harder but its easier to get wierd flavors in them if you screw up and the wierd flavors are more noticable, I REALLY wouldn't recommend a lager for your first batch.

Freezer would be too cold you don't want it below freezing, you want it a few degrees above freeing. A refridgerator would be about right.

What's the temp of your garage? And more importantly, what temp would it be a month from now?

What I'd do is brew a Kolsch, those are the most lager-like ales.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7377 Times on 5215 Posts

It's not that it's harder. It's just a little more involved.

To make ale, you buy an ale yeast, mix up the wort, and ferment at room temperature. Two or three weeks later, you bottle.

To make a true lager, you should make a yeast starter to have enough yeast. You ferment it for about 2 weeks at 50 degrees, and then raise it to 65 degrees for 48 hours for a diacetyl rest, if one is needed. Then you rack to the secondary, and begin the lagering phase. You lower the temperature 5 degrees per day, until you have it at 34 degrees where you keep it for 4-6 weeks or longer. Then you bottle.

Now, there are some kits that say "lager" on them (Coopers, I think, is one) that you make the first way I described, as an ale. They just call their kit "lager"- it truly isn't. You can make acceptable beer with them, but you shouldn't expect something like Becks or Heineken or Grolsch at all.

Here's some good reading on basic beer brewing: http://howtobrew.com/intro.html