1,2,3...mead!!! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > 1,2,3...mead!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 04:51 AM   #1
jdoyle83
Recipes 

Mar 2008

So I've been poking around the mead forum for a week or so and I figured I'd give it a try. I just finished making my first ever batch of mead, and I kept it simple:

I added 3 pounds of BJ's brand clover honey to about 1/3 gallon water and shook the hell out of it, then added more water to almost fill my 1 gallon jug and shook the hell out of it some more until everything was dissolved and continued to shake for a few minutes until I felt like an idiot. I used about 1/2 packet of Red Star Pasteur champagne yeast, which I hydrated before hand and added to the must at slightly under 80F. sealed it up with an airlock and stuck it in the closet.

Poured off a sample before adding the yeast, OG: 1.101

Since I didn't use any nutrients, this might take a while, right? (even though it's just a gallon?) This is an experiment born of a short budget, so I really can't lose. 6 bucks on honey and $0.75 on yeast = 13% abv beverage!

Old 04-06-2008, 05:27 AM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts

I Started where you are.
Yes this will take a while. Also, It will likely taste a lot like Rocket Fuel for a good long while. It will be good...Just have one hell of a whomp.
Your yeast should take you completely dry, so you may be a while in the last few points.
Congratulations.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:27 AM   #3
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Well you can add the nutrient at any time. I suggest you do as Honey doesnt have a lot for the yeast to feed on.

I would suggest you let this ferment for 3 months and then bottle for 9. Drink at 12
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 04-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
GrantLee63
Recipes 

Jun 2006

Pick up some Fermaid-K at your LHBS and add about 1/2 teaspoon to your 1 gallon batch. Stir it in gently as not to aerate your must, let it ferment for at least 3 months, rack to another sanitized 1 gallon jug, then bulk-age it (do not bottle it) for at least 1 year before bottling. All of the meads I make these days is bulk-aged for a minimum of 2 years before I bottle. Mead, more than any other fermentable, requires patience ..... and lots of it. YMMV

-GL63

Old 04-24-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
jdoyle83
Recipes 

Mar 2008

I added some fermax about a week ago. Just a warning to fellow mead noobs: do this in a bathtub or something. baking soda and vinegar, anybody?

edit: What I mean to say here is that, because I didn't look into it too much, I added the fermax DRY [didn't mix it w/ boiled H2O] and it began to foam rapidly. I had to clamp my hand over the top, carry it into the bathtub and slowly release the pressure before putting the stopper back in. Live & Learn!

Old 05-06-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
jdoyle83
Recipes 

Mar 2008

I checked the mead today, one month after I made it: 0.995

13.8% by volume, and you can tell.

Can everybody say "lighter fluid"? god damn.