Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Peanut Butter Porter W/Powdered Peanut Butter

Old 04-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #11
RICLARK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemson55
I'll be interested to see how this compares to the PB stout I made with the deoiled PB.
holy **** you used powdered PB? That stout was simply amazing. Rich I wanna try that porter when it is finished maybe a private swap if your up for it.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 04-05-2008, 09:59 PM   #12
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICLARK
holy **** you used powdered PB? That stout was simply amazing. Rich I wanna try that porter when it is finished maybe a private swap if your up for it.
I think he meant he deoiled a natural PB by spreading it out and blotting it off.

I'm always up for private swaps.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:13 AM   #13
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew
I think he meant he deoiled a natural PB by spreading it out and blotting it off.

I'm always up for private swaps.

Thats what I meant about 10 days of deoiling a lb of PB. Put it on top of a lot of paper towels spread it to about 1/4-3/16" thick and then lots more paper towels on top to absorb the oils out then added it to the boil. Everyone that has tried it has made good comments. Riclark is the only one of the 3 March beer swap people who has responded so far but several people I know have tried it and liked it.
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead
In the Works - Summer Rye for my wedding, May 15, 2010

Old 04-06-2008, 05:02 PM   #14
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Holy crap, I must try this. Next up is my Pyramid Apricot clone, after that.... well, I've been meaning to brew a stout!!!

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 04-07-2008, 12:37 AM   #15
BakerStreetBeers

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Thats what I meant about 10 days of deoiling a lb of PB. Put it on top of a lot of paper towels spread it to about 1/4-3/16" thick and then lots more paper towels on top to absorb the oils out then added it to the boil. Everyone that has tried it has made good comments. Riclark is the only one of the 3 March beer swap people who has responded so far but several people I know have tried it and liked it.
I respect the innovation, the dedication and especially the effort, but seriously, would anyone do this if they knew that de-oiled powdered PB was available. I think SuperiorBrew deserves big kudos for bringing this to our attention. I was planning on brewing up a fatty stout in a coupla weeks for one of my coworkers who likes dark beer (I don't especially), but am now plotting to make it a peanut butter cup stout. Thanks to SuperiorBrew, I don't have to have already started the de-oiling process!!
On Tap: Dunkelweizen, Strong Irish Red
On Deck: Agave Wit, DC's RyePA, Belgian Blonde

"Ale man, ale's the stuff to drink / For fellows whom it hurts to think."
- Housman

Old 04-07-2008, 01:47 AM   #16
Chaos_Being
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerStreetBeers
I respect the innovation, the dedication and especially the effort, but seriously, would anyone do this if they knew that de-oiled powdered PB was available. I think SuperiorBrew deserves big kudos for bringing this to our attention. I was planning on brewing up a fatty stout in a coupla weeks for one of my coworkers who likes dark beer (I don't especially), but am now plotting to make it a peanut butter cup stout. Thanks to SuperiorBrew, I don't have to have already started the de-oiling process!!
No kidding...major kudos to you SuperiorBrew. I'm definitely going to be keeping my eye on this one- I hope it turns out great!
Bottled: Hrothgar Hefe, OktoberFast Ale, Irish Stout, Dopplebock, Schwarzbier
Bottled/Aging: Oaked Concord Wine, Sweet Mead, Raspberry Melomel
Up Next: American Amber, Goblin Rocket Fuel 2.0, Red Rye Ale, Imperial Stout, etc...

Old 04-07-2008, 03:23 AM   #17
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I will be interested to see how it turns out as well. How strong a flavor does the powdered PB have? Because all the flavor is really in the oils. Even when I deoiled the PB I probably only removed a moderate percentage of the oil. I think having some of the oil which you leave behind when racking is what will actually generates a lot of the PB flavor.
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead
In the Works - Summer Rye for my wedding, May 15, 2010

Old 04-07-2008, 03:47 AM   #18
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I will be interested to see how it turns out as well. How strong a flavor does the powdered PB have? Because all the flavor is really in the oils. Even when I deoiled the PB I probably only removed a moderate percentage of the oil. I think having some of the oil which you leave behind when racking is what will actually generates a lot of the PB flavor.
I tried it per their directions of mixing 2T powder to 1T water and it was just like the real thing. The hydrometer sample sure tasted and smelled like PB, actually I am hoping it will mellow with age.

It's been 2 weeks, maybe I will rack it this week to secondarys and taste it again. Any one think that just racking over cocoa will work?

Old 04-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #19
Chaos_Being
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've heard of people racking over cocoa nibs in the secondary, so I don't see why doing the same thing with cocoa powder wouldn't work. You could also try chocolate extract in the secondary (I did that with my chocolate stout with good results from what I can tell so far.)
Bottled: Hrothgar Hefe, OktoberFast Ale, Irish Stout, Dopplebock, Schwarzbier
Bottled/Aging: Oaked Concord Wine, Sweet Mead, Raspberry Melomel
Up Next: American Amber, Goblin Rocket Fuel 2.0, Red Rye Ale, Imperial Stout, etc...

Old 04-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #20
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerStreetBeers

+1 nice find. Please keep everyone updated.