Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Quick Aeration Question

Old 04-04-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
mdowns63
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Quick Aeration Question

I've been going through old threads looking at aeration methods and I've got an aquarium pump and air stone, but I need an inline air filter. I keep seeing references to these, but I'm not sure where to get it. Can I buy it at a pet store near the aquarium pumps or at a hardware store? Also, if it's the hardware store, what section would it be in? I'm just not sure what it's used for outside of brewing and aquariums, so I don't have much of an idea of where to find it. Thanks for the advice!

Old 04-05-2008, 12:09 AM   #2
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdowns63
I've been going through old threads looking at aeration methods and I've got an aquarium pump and air stone, but I need an inline air filter. I keep seeing references to these, but I'm not sure where to get it. Can I buy it at a pet store near the aquarium pumps or at a hardware store? Also, if it's the hardware store, what section would it be in? I'm just not sure what it's used for outside of brewing and aquariums, so I don't have much of an idea of where to find it. Thanks for the advice!
How to Brew suggests that you can just use wet cotton(I'd probably soak it in a starsan solution) inline to filter the air. He also suggests that you use a SS air stone, which should be available at LHBS.

What type of fish do you keep?

Old 04-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #3
mdowns63

Recipes 

Currently, no animals. I never got to deep into fish aquariums, but I've had some reptiles/amphibians over the years that I had some semi-aquatic habitats for. And yes, I did buy a fresh set for brewing!! (I don't want fish or frog flavored beer)

Old 04-05-2008, 12:46 AM   #4
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I used a pump and aquarium stone for the last two batches. It made a lot of foam, and didn't have a big impact on my FG like I hoped it would. All of my beers seem to finish in the 1.015 - .020 range. They have been IIPA, IPA, Imperial Stout, and Irish Stout. All finished about 5 points high.

I just got an o2 kiit from morebeer with a filter. I know they sell the filters separate for $5. I am hoping that will help my FG numbers.