rhizome exchange (local) - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > rhizome exchange (local)

Old 04-03-2008, 12:10 AM   #1
Kaiser

Recipes 

Nov 2005
Pepperell, MA
Liked 127 Times on 73 Posts

Is anybody, who has older hops whilling to exchange or give away rhizomes? I was thinking about this once my hops are older. This way you can get lots of rhizomes for cheap/free and don't have to worry about the occasional dud.

There might be shipping regulation, so doing this locally would get around that.

Sorry if this has been brought up already.

Kai

Old 04-03-2008, 12:22 AM   #2
jfish63
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Feb 2008
OC NY

I posted about trading last month. I only had one taker. I sent them to PA via
usps. They had no problems shipping them.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
Joker

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Orygun
Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts

Not this year, but I hope to exchange some next year.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #4
Danek
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Sheffield, UK
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

A propos of this, what would be the best way to get rhizomes from existing hop plants? I have a Target and a Challenger plant, and next year I'd like to propagate additional plants from these if I can. It'd be good to have extra plants, and also to have extra rhizomes to pass on to other HBers. Does anyone know how that'd work?

Old 04-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
Melana
Up to no good....

Recipes 

May 2007
Norfolk, MA
Liked 2479 Times on 1360 Posts

Kai I would be interested for the future however our oldest hops were planted last year and they are not quite ready to disturb.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
SirFizzle
Recipes 

Jan 2008
North East, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danek
A propos of this, what would be the best way to get rhizomes from existing hop plants? I have a Target and a Challenger plant, and next year I'd like to propagate additional plants from these if I can. It'd be good to have extra plants, and also to have extra rhizomes to pass on to other HBers. Does anyone know how that'd work?

I'm sure someone must have already posted this, but:

According to Northern Brewer, all you need to do is bury a portion of the healthy lower vines in shallow trenchs at the fall harvest. You leave them attached to the underground roots. Mark the trenches with little flags (or stakes and string) to dig them up in early spring. Cut into segments, refrigerate in moist plastic ziplock and transplant to new location.

You do not need to disturb the root system of your existing plant to propogate new plants.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
Brent_in_Aurora
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Denver
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I will try this method.

In the past, I have simply dug up the shoots and a portion of the root to transplant. I have had good success with that.

I have also rooted clippings.

If anyone wants Centennial, Saaz or Zeus or Willamette next year, I am in the Denver area. I will give them to you if you drop me a line.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
gartj
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Longmont, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_in_Aurora View Post
I will try this method.

In the past, I have simply dug up the shoots and a portion of the root to transplant. I have had good success with that.

I have also rooted clippings.

If anyone wants Centennial, Saaz or Zeus or Willamette next year, I am in the Denver area. I will give them to you if you drop me a line.
I've got Cascade, Kent Golding, Brewers Gold and Northern Brewer. I'd be interested to swap whenever you are.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Isle of Staten
Liked 854 Times on 626 Posts

Next year, I will have a ton of Hallertau, Cascade, Willamette and I think Centennial. My friend gave away two bags of rhizomes this year that had to weigh 3 lbs each!

We should start a thread for trading rhizomes early next year.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:07 AM   #10
bosox
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Boston, MA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I may be interested in this for next season. As for myself I have Mt. Hood and Cascade so I'm not sure they will produce rhizomes this year, but if they do I'd be willing to swap
Conditioning: Nothing
On Deck: Oktoberfest/Summer Ale
In The Garden: 2nd year Cascades