Spruce Tips are Popping...Do I Dare??? - Page 11 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Spruce Tips are Popping...Do I Dare???

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #101
beeber
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
SE PA, Pennsylvania
Posts: 439
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Be careful it is powerful and easy to over-spruce.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #102
incutrav
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Woodbury
Posts: 60
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by incutrav View Post
Brewing another batch of Spruce PA on Saturday. Using only old growth again. I entered my Spruce IPA batch in a few comps last summer and most comments said "way to much spruce!". I beg to differ, im going even bigger this time, and using only spruce, no hops. 1 'pint' of needles at 60, then 2 'pints' at FO. Should be fun, and sure saves $$(if it turns out)
Brewing went well. We had a bag of Simcoe hops, and the needles side by side, and if you smelled them blind, you were really hard pressed to tell the difference. Old growth needles are the way to go. Only crapshoot is figuring out how much to use. I threw a bunch in at FO so we shall see in a few weeks.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #103
wyzazz
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,303
Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts


Just brewed 20 gallons of last year's recipe on Sunday as well as another 5 gallons with Maple Sap instead of water. We also sampled the last bottle of this I had in the keezer, it held up very well for being over a year old and still tasted as good as I remembered it!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:26 PM   #104
extra_medium
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
beavercreek, ohio
Posts: 212
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Two questions:
1. When is it too late for the spruce/pine tips?
2. Has anyone put them in vodka to pull out the essence and then add it post ferment?
__________________

Salute!

_____
~XM~

Best Hop Manual Ever
My brew sculpture

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #105
wyzazz
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,303
Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by extra_medium View Post
Two questions:
1. When is it too late for the spruce/pine tips?
Depends on the tree and when they pop out, I pick mine at 1-3". They are still very soft and taste very citrusy/astringent, with a sprucey aftertaste when you eat one. Once they start to get hard then I don't bother.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:00 AM   #106

Picked these the other day. Vacuum sealed and froze them for a brew to be made in another month or so. Thinking of using 1oz per gallon at both 30 and 10 minutes. Might "dry spruce" with some too.



__________________
My Hombrewing Blog

My Beer Cellar

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #107
wyzazz
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,303
Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
Picked these the other day. Vacuum sealed and froze them for a brew to be made in another month or so. Thinking of using 1oz per gallon at both 30 and 10 minutes. Might "dry spruce" with some too.



Those look good! I do 5oz @ 60min, 5oz @ Transfer & 5oz Dry Spruced for 7 days for a 5gal batch.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Those look good! I do 5oz @ 60min, 5oz @ Transfer & 5oz Dry Spruced for 7 days for a 5gal batch.
I was going to use some bittering hops at 60 min. Though I like the idea of bittering with the spruce too. How much bitterness did you get from that? I know you can't put an actual IBU number to it, but how would you describe the bitterness level?
__________________
My Hombrewing Blog

My Beer Cellar

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #109
wyzazz
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,303
Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts


It's not a bitter beer in the sense that you get bitterness from hops, I can say that there is plenty of spruce to balance out the malt in the recipe I used. The bitterness is very soft. Of all the folks that have tried the Spruce Beer I made last year, only one (My Wife) didn't like it. And she doesn't like beer at all, unless it's Lindemann's.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
It's not a bitter beer in the sense that you get bitterness from hops, I can say that there is plenty of spruce to balance out the malt in the recipe I used. The bitterness is very soft. Of all the folks that have tried the Spruce Beer I made last year, only one (My Wife) didn't like it. And she doesn't like beer at all, unless it's Lindemann's.
Thanks for the info. I think I may use some hops at 60 minutes to get the bitterness I am looking for.


__________________
My Hombrewing Blog

My Beer Cellar

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where can I find Spruce Tips to buy in the USA tsanford405 Recipes/Ingredients 8 04-05-2010 03:58 AM
Spruce tips cont... duskb General Beer Discussion 4 11-03-2009 12:00 AM
Spruce tips blue800 Recipes/Ingredients 2 03-22-2009 02:08 AM
Has anyone brewed with spruce tips Slatetank Recipes/Ingredients 16 03-16-2009 07:50 PM
fresh spruce tips heyjamesguesswhat Recipes/Ingredients 2 03-17-2008 01:25 PM


Forum Jump