Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 30 qrt Turkey fryer and cooler?

Old 03-31-2008, 12:58 AM   #1
Wade E
Beer Buster
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default 30 qrt Turkey fryer and cooler?

I know this must have been asked so many ties that you will want to shoot me but Im a noob here and tried to search for this answer and read alot about other questions asked instead so here it goes. What size batch will I beable to do once I get into AGB with a 30 qrt fryer and what size cooler should I get to make a MT for this setup? I dont see myself making huge batches, 5 or 6 gallons a would be perfect.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:00 AM   #2
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nobody will shoot you, don't worry!

You will be able to do standard 5 US gallon batches with a 30qt pot (though you will need to be vigilant for boil overs at the start!). A 5 gallon cooler is adequate for 5 gallon batches but you would be better off with at least 10 gallons if you can manage it.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 03-31-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

With foam control drops you can easily push close to the 6 gallon batch mark in that 30qt pot - without, you're safer trying to stay near 5.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
Liquidicem
I love lamp!

Recipes 

**BANG**

j/k You should be ok with a 30 quart pot but it will get tight at the beginning of your boil. I would recommend bigger if you can but it is a decent starting point. I've boiled 6.5 gallons down to 5.5 in a 30 qt. pot but had to watch it like a hawk. I'm in the process of converting a keg to a boil kettle now.

You won't regret a 10 gallon cooler.
Don't poop in your fermenter when the lid is off and you'll be fine.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 7

30 qt pot is fine. If you use foam control drops, you don't have to worry about watching it.

5 gal coolers are less popular than 10 gal coolers when building a mash tun, particularly if you will be batch sparging. Many start with 5 gal thinking it is big enough, then ditch it for a 10 gal one very soon.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:48 PM   #6
Wade E
Beer Buster

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks guys!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
Wade E
Beer Buster

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Got my turkey fryer at Home Dept today fro $37.95. Will use this for awhile but will eventually get a bigger SS Pot. Should get chiller tomorrows and hopefully a cooler to make a mash tun then Im on my way! Im sure I will have plenty of questions for you guys. Thanx for getting me this far!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #8
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nice! I've got the same one and it works...a bit too well actually. In order to keep 6gal at a rolling boil without boil you definitely need to use the aforementioned foam control drops OR just watch it like a hawk. I figured out that at the very lowest possible setting on this burner it was just about perfect to maintain a boil while still being able to have a beer. I did have a few heart attack moments tho, with this much in the pot. I think in a while I'll make the move up to a 40qt SS pot.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 04-06-2008, 03:08 PM   #9
Wade E
Beer Buster

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Got my kegging stuff and my Immersion chiller now. Just a MLT away, Ill get the cooler this week from Target. They have a 40 qrt. Igloo Max cold with drain, handle, and wheels for $30. All I have to do now is convert it and get rolling! So close but yet so far.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #10
Wade E
Beer Buster

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

After going to Target i discovered that the picture thay had on the website was not what was in the store as the in-store 1 had no spigot. I decided to get an Igloo 38 qrt. with wheels as it seemed to be the best choice with what they or anyone around offered with out buying online. It was a fun time drilling the perfect location and getting the right stuff from Home Depot to do the Ball valve assembly. I didnt find any SS washers there but did find 2 big ones at a nut & bolt company near me but only had 1/4" holes in them I re-drilled them with a Bi-Metal hole saw, thats fun also. Have all my fittings but not enough money on me to buy the 1/2" copper pipe this week. Cant wait to finally get this going. Thanks everyone for posting there designs and part lists for their MLT's as I used this as a guide and almost every part for the 40 qrt MLT was spot on with the parts list