Distilled water? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Distilled water?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2006, 10:33 PM   #1
mworkman
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Posts: 47


Would distilled water be good for brewing? It is a lot cheaper then bottled water. 4 gal. at wallmart is $2.56. And 4 gal should be all you need as you could have 1 1/2 gal of hot wort to add to the 4 cooled distilled gal.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:37 PM   #2
david_42
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,593
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts


If you use distilled water and are doing straight extracts, adding some yeast food would be a very good idea. If you are also steeping specialty grains, you can probably get by without the yeast food.


__________________
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:41 PM   #3
SteveM
Recipes 
 
Aug 2005
Philadelphia area
Posts: 1,570
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


My rule of thumb is, if the water tastes good, it will probably make good beer. Trying tasting the distilled water next to spring water, which costs only pennies more.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:45 PM   #4
Mindflux
Recipes 
 
Nov 2005
Pflugerville, TX
Posts: 245
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Distilled water doesn't have near enough minerals to work well for brewing, that is.. if you do all grain. If you are doing extract there's plenty of minerals in the condensed liquid/powder that'll end up in the water.

You could use distilled water for about 80% of your brew, and tap for the other 20%.. if your tap water sucks. Or just use spring water.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:53 PM   #5
SteveM
Recipes 
 
Aug 2005
Philadelphia area
Posts: 1,570
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM
My rule of thumb is, if the water tastes good, it will probably make good beer. Trying tasting the distilled water next to spring water, which costs only pennies more.
I was trying to be subtle.

Actually, anyone who ever tries this will swear off using distilled water for anything to be consumed, because it is awful to drink. Use it in your iron, or your fish tank, or for rinsing your contact lenses...but don't brew with it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:58 PM   #6
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Brewpastor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Corrales, New Mexico
Posts: 4,574
Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts


Distilled water isn't my choice for water. If the house water source is good, just use that and adjust recipes to fit.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:50 PM   #7
drengel
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
durango, CO
Posts: 576
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


distilled water is by far the best water for home brewing if you have an understanding of water chemistry and are willing to spend just a few cents more per batch to add minerals and/or adjust the pH to what you want. being as you care enough about your brews to buy distilled water i bet you would spend the little bit of time to get to know something about water chemistry and learn how to adjust the water to yoour needs via adding minerals. water is the single most important part of beer in my opinion. if it weren't for water it'd be bread. from experience it's worth it to care about your water supply, it will drastically effect the final outcome of your beer. think about the fact that the major brewing centers in the world became famous for their water supply. i'd use distilled water and tinker with a program like pro-mash to figure out how many minerals to add based on what kind of water you want. it may sound complicated but it is easy and well worth the effort, especially if your tap water is no good.

edit: if you don't want to take the time to work all that stuff out a good drinking water that is not salty tasting works well.




 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RO Water VS Distilled thdewitt All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 14 05-22-2014 01:08 PM
making brewing water from distilled water cootr_brn General Techniques 7 05-19-2011 09:04 PM
Distilled water Sneakytiki Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 06-10-2008 02:22 AM
Distilled water? Leedawggy78 General Techniques 11 01-06-2008 06:31 AM
Distilled water? Gabe General Techniques 21 08-25-2006 05:22 PM


Forum Jump