I posted earlier this month that I was using liquid yeast for the first time and wasn't sure it was working (http://http://www.homebrewtalk.com/s...049#post595049
). After three weeks, the bubbles on top have almost cleared as has the AW. I can still see lots of small bubbles rising to the top, but nothing like I had the first couple of days. If you haven't clicked the link, save the time - I used Wyeast 3068.
While having a homebrew or three tonight and grilling steaks, I decided to get a sample of the AW with my thief. Using a 3 gal carboy, I couldn't get very much with the thief due to the height differentials. What I got tasted good.....too good. Like Apple Juice.
Mistake #1 (or 2 or 3 if you count the yeast type and my screwing around with it after only 3 weeks): It didn't taste like it had much alcohol in it, so I decided to try to get enough to put the hydrometer in it. Had to use the syphon and made a ##%% mess all over everything because I have only used it twice.
Mistake #2: Still couldn't get enough to float the hydrometer, so dropped the hydrometer into the carboy very slowly. Thought it would float high enough that I could get it back. Did not think it would drift to the sides.
Mistake #3: It floated to the side. The top of the carboy interfered with the top of the hydrometer, but it looks like the gravity scale has 1.012 and the ABV scale has 4% if this means anything. (I did not measure the OG, so all of this is just one big screw up.)
Mistake #4: Tried different sanitized instruments to retrieve the hydrometer, but could not get it back out.
1. If the alcohol level is as low as it tastes and appears with my limited hydrometer experiences, does this prove that yeast problem I thought I had in the link above did/does exist?
2. What can I do to get the yeast going if you agree that maybe it just never started working?
3. How do I get the hydrometer back or do I just leave it?
4. Should I go ahead and count this as a loss and drink it up so I can get the hydrometer back?
5. How many of you are ROFLYA's off? LOL!