f150 engines!!! - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > f150 engines!!!

Old 03-29-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Cereal City, USA
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

dangit went out to start the 150 up this morning and the starter turns and then stops the engine is freaking seized .. shoulda known this would happen let it sit during winter again(2wd king cab sucks on snow).

anyone know how to swap a 6cyl300ci ford?

i can get a full used for bout $450
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 03-29-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
brauhaus

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Susquehanna Valley, PA
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

i am a chevy man, i've always thought the 350 was perhaps one of the most universal and easiest motors to work on...

altho in the fire service they rely on a ford super duty quad cab for a squad unit and i'll admit i really like that truck.

sorry, i'm of no help.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
PeteOz77

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Canberra, ACT Australia
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

you could have a cracked head or leaking head gasket which has caused hydro lock.

Pull all 6 plugs and try to turn it over again.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:30 PM   #4
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2007
Melbourne, Fl
Liked 49 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktlupus
dangit went out to start the 150 up this morning and the starter turns and then stops the engine is freaking seized .. shoulda known this would happen let it sit during winter again(2wd king cab sucks on snow).

anyone know how to swap a 6cyl300ci ford?

i can get a full used for bout $450
97-98 V6s had bad head intake gaskets and a timing chain cover gasket which would allow coolant to weap into the #4 cylinder causing a hydrolock. Like some one said before pull the plugs and try to turn it over. You might have already bent a rod though. You might get lucky though.

A swap on the 4.2 isn't very difficult though.

edit- NM just noticed its an older straight 6. Dont know much about those. The guys at V6f150.com might be able to help you, great bunch of info over there but it is mostly for the 4.2

Old 03-29-2008, 11:42 PM   #5
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset

Recipes 

May 2007
Georgia
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

The starter wouldn't turn at all if the engine was seized. You would just here the "clank" of the starter engaging, then nothing would move.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
PeteOz77

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Canberra, ACT Australia
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk305
The starter wouldn't turn at all if the engine was seized. You would just here the "clank" of the starter engaging, then nothing would move.

That's why I reckon it's hydro locking. I doubt he bent a rod on a 300 6 with his starter motor. I have seen bent rods on a SBC when the engine was hydro locked and the guys tried to Pull Start it by towing it behind another truck and popping the clutch.. OUCH

It will be interesting to see what happens when he pulls the plugs...

I drove a small block 400 chev for months with a cracked head.. just tried to turn it over and let it hydro lock, then wait 10 seconds and try again... another 10 seconds.. kept trying until the water either seeped past the rings, or the pressure pushed the water back through the crack. Worst part was having to keep adding water a few times a week because the crack was allowing combustion gasses to ecape into the cooling system, and the radiator cap would allow the excess pressure to blow off into the reservoir...overflowing that.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:16 AM   #7
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!

Recipes 

Aug 2007
Melbourne, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOz77
I doubt he bent a rod on a 300 6 with his starter motor.
My 4.2 snapped a rod when it happened to me. I dont know if it is the rods they used in those motors or the starter is that beefy but it is not uncommon.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:58 AM   #8
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Cereal City, USA
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

sorry shoulda posted that it was a 1990 straight six and i did have a problem last fall with a freeze plug rusting out and after i was detecting a whiff of antifreeze while running. why i said i shoulda known it would happen

talked to my mechanic today and he said bout $200 for him to do the swap
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 03-30-2008, 02:25 AM   #9
Laurel

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Seattle, WA
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I say swap in a 350. Of course I'm a little biased.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:40 AM   #10
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!

Recipes 

Aug 2007
Melbourne, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktlupus
sorry shoulda posted that it was a 1990 straight six and i did have a problem last fall with a freeze plug rusting out and after i was detecting a whiff of antifreeze while running. why i said i shoulda known it would happen

talked to my mechanic today and he said bout $200 for him to do the swap
$200 is definitly worth it not to deal with the BS. Good deal