Spigot On Primary? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Spigot On Primary?
Sign-up To NEW HBT Article Newsletter - Brewing Articles Direct To You!

Old 03-26-2008, 05:33 PM   #11
menschmaschine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts

Am I missing something here? I use better bottles and a bottling bucket all with spigots and never had an issue with oxidation or contamination (I don't even have a racking cane or auto-siphon). I sanitize everything that touches wort/beer with iodophor or 70% Isopropyl alcohol. When transferring from primary to "secondary", or the bottling bucket, I use a length of sanitized tubing attached to the 'supply' spigot and long enough to reach the bottom of the receiving container. I just keep the top of both containers covered with aluminum foil or plastic wrap. When bottling, I attach the bottling wand with a 1 or 2 inch piece of tubing which allows the wand to be in direct contact with the spigot. Yeah, there are a few bubbles at the start of the transfer, but I don't think it's enough to worry about.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:44 PM   #12
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Maybe I am being anal mensch, but when I do that I see tiny bubbles circling around just under the spigot in the line. Maybe it isn't enough to do any damage.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 03-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #13
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon
Maybe I am being anal mensch, but when I do that I see tiny bubbles circling around just under the spigot in the line. Maybe it isn't enough to do any damage.
And maybe many of the bubbles you see are actually CO2 coming out of suspension.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #14
Bob Loblaw
Recipes 

yeah, I have spigots on everything as well, all primaries, secondaries, and bottling. Never had a problem. Just make sure to sanitize spigots well before and after each use.

Primary 1: Raspberry Hefe
Primary 2: Phat Tyre
Secondary 1: Kelly's Killer Porter (dry-hopped)
On Tap: Irish Stout, IPA, Brown Ale, Apfelwein, ESB, Pissed off Porter, Aaron's Bitter,Smoked Porter,American PA

Old 03-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #15
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
I wonder if that means there is a leak in spigot or that the tubing isn't sealed onto the spigot and is drawing in air. Once the transfer is in full flow (which happens almost immediately), I don't have any bubbles.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #16
Willsellout

Recipes 

Quote:
It isn't. I've done some sloppy bottling that introduced more O2 than it should and had zero problems. One of those beers I kept around for over a year with no oxidation. This, much like many other topics, is overkill and over analyzing. RDWHAHB.

Dan
Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Old 03-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #17
McSwiggin'
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsellout
I believe this is the picture:

It's basically an O2 free transfer system. I use nothing but BB's and hope to upgrade to this when I can afford the extra fittings. I find the spigots work perfectly and have had zero issues with oxidation.

Dan
Yeah, thats the picture. Thanks!

The only thing it's not showing is the initial purging of the the secondary. just put an airlock on it (or at least, thats what I do)

I don't think you need a "special" cap, I just use a small piece of tubing that fits over the inside vent on the airlock, then reduce it to the line that filts on the spigot.

I'm sure all of this is overkill, I have used and still use (only have a few ported fermenters) a traditional racking cane and siphon and haven't had a problem yet. But once you get used to using this system, it is actually quite simple and adds another level of insurance on spoilage.

I agree, relax and have a home brew!