Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Habanero Capsicumel

Old 04-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #51
turd22003
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudius View Post
You aiming for something like Sriracha? Sounds exciting.
lol dont know yet just mixed it up last night using 4 whole(fresh) prik kee noo (mouse poo peppers) 1/2 lime and a touch of ginger... i might add some lemon grass and more prik kee noo to the secondary but i think that would be to much

Old 05-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #52
Kdog22
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I think I may have to try this..

One thing I keep thinking about is that is might be necessary to use 5 pounds of honey for 1 gallon to balance the sweet vs. hot.. Otherwise, that's ALOT of honey for just one gallon.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #53
Hasher76
Recipes 

i just bottled up my 3rd batch of 1 gallon size mead, a Mango Habanero mix with orange blossom honey, 2x habanero + 3x mango primary and 3x habanero + 3x mango secondary. A quick taste after the primary wasn't hot enough so I added more in the secondary. The high ABV is masked by the liquid magma going down your throat, I absolutely love it so far.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #54
brewsmedic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Started it today; 5 lbs Raw Clover Honey, Champaign yeast, One Habanero, 3/4 tsp yeast nutrient and topped with spring water in one gallon jug. Planning on letting it go for a month, moving to a new jug and topping off with some water/honey mix then letting it sit for the summer into fall. Nothing says dead of winter like lighting your mouth on fire! SG was only 1.120 though that should be 16-18% if the scale is right. Looking forward to it!

Old 08-14-2013, 02:22 AM   #55
MacdaddyMead
Recipes 

I am a new comer to the HB blog and HB in general. I have made several types of wine including three different meads; this one sounds like I will be intense. I just started mine today. I did devein the habanero and add 1 tsp of yeast nutrient. I also skimmed off the foam off the too of the heated mixture. That was a first for me. What is the purpose of skimming the foam? Taking out impurities? Thanx for listening. I am excited to start blogging!

Old 08-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #56
Mythos
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Started mine today as well. I used 2.2 # of honey and s-04 so I doesn't have to age as long with only 10% abv tolerance. I used 2 habaneros previous comments claim one isn't hot enough if you rack to secondary. I figure I can always back sweeten if I want it sweeter to compliment the heat.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #57
BrewingPeace
Recipes 

Loving both Mead and Capsaicin, I'd be curious to try it with Bhut Jolokia, Ghost Chilis... Those I am growing, and they have a very..rich and sweet flavor to them.. great thread, I think this is my next brew!

Old 09-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #58
turd22003
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudius View Post
You aiming for something like Sriracha? Sounds exciting.
its allmost ready to bottle and look great, husband sampled some @racking and its sweet then it BURNS... just like the chillies <3 looking forward to this one

Old 10-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #59
brewsmedic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, SG 1.120, used the Champaign yeast and it went like crazy. Got a solid layer of sediment on the bottom and moved it over about a month in (end of July). Really didn't do visible active fermentation but got another small (quarter to half inch) of sediment again. Moved it again, topped it off with water and checked the gravity again coming up with 1.076. Seems like it still has room to play but not sure. Second yeast packet with starter or let it ride as is? It's got a sweet and hot flavor but according to a web ABV Calculator, it's only 5.4% I've never used two yeast doses before and this seems pretty spread out (June 26th for start and we're half way through October now).

Old 10-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #60
brewsmedic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

And one Habanero put a good amount of fire in it so far; I left the veins in and only removed the seeds.