Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > TAP-A-DRAFT: first impression...

Old 12-03-2009, 04:32 AM   #111
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Hey Guys,
I placed my primary in the garage fridge tonight after 19 days at 69F. I plan to transfer to a bottling bucket for priming on Friday night and then into the TAD. I just pulled out the instructions to my TAD and it is basically a pamphlet. There is no mention of natural carbing...only using the CO2 cylinders. I haven't thought about this until I really started looking at the components and now I have another question for those of you who have been using the system:

Do you simply remove the cap and then attach the dispensing head and cylinders? That seems like the only way and I have to assume that as long as the beer is nice and cold that most CO2 remains dissolved in the beer and what is lost is replaced when the CO2 cylinders are added.

Oh, another question:
Do any of you guys add gelatin anytime in your process? I think it is probably too late for me to do that now since I plan to transfer to TAD on Friday. But for the next batch...

We have a function on Dec 19 and I'd like to tap one of the bottles. I'm hoping 15-days is enough time conditioning in the TAD.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-03-2009, 04:41 AM   #112
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 532 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Yeah, throw the TAD bottle into the fridge for a few days before tapping. Then you pull it out, screw the dispensing head on, lay it on it's side and screw in the CO2 carts one at a time. Gotta screw them in fast though, or you'll lose a lot of CO2. Make sure you put the head on with it upright, but put the CO2 carts on with it laying down.

Haven't tried gelatin with the TAD, myself. Seems like it would work though. Cold crash with gelatin and then bottle. It'll take a bit longer to carb naturally, but you always have CO2 for backup.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #113
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks Cat.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #114
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Since my system only came with a small instruction pamplet, I did some googling and found this which provides better cleaning and carbonating detail:
http://morebeer.com/public/pdf/KEG920.pdf

Since my bottles are brown, I'm going to sanitize with an iodophor solution. I have some Star San on the way, but it won't be here in time.

-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #115
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

My first TAD batch has been in the basement naturally conditioning for seven days now. Next Saturday, we are having a family gathering and some of them like a good beer. I plan to start cooling one of the TAD bottles a day or two in advance and then charging with a CO2 cylinder...keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out well.

On another note: Now that I've assembled some new gear to brew 5gal batches (RIMS), I'm wondering why I need that much beer of the same style. My wife drinks very little beer and I have one buddy who lives close that enjoys really good beer. I've started thinking about brewing smaller batches. I now have seven TAD bottles and if I were to brew 3gal batches, that would fill 2 TAD bottles. This means I can have three different brews in TAD bottles and have a spare bottle. We have a lake house and I could keep a few there as well and never get bored with a beer style or have to worry about beer spoiling...the horror. All I need is a second tap for the lake. This BYO article has inspired me:
http://www.byo.com/stories/article/i...-scale-brewing

-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #116
mrgstiffler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
My first TAD batch has been in the basement naturally conditioning for seven days now. Next Saturday, we are having a family gathering and some of them like a good beer. I plan to start cooling one of the TAD bottles a day or two in advance and then charging with a CO2 cylinder...keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out well.

On another note: Now that I've assembled some new gear to brew 5gal batches (RIMS), I'm wondering why I need that much beer of the same style. My wife drinks very little beer and I have one buddy who lives close that enjoys really good beer. I've started thinking about brewing smaller batches. I now have seven TAD bottles and if I were to brew 3gal batches, that would fill 2 TAD bottles. This means I can have three different brews in TAD bottles and have a spare bottle. We have a lake house and I could keep a few there as well and never get bored with a beer style or have to worry about beer spoiling...the horror. All I need is a second tap for the lake. This BYO article has inspired me:
http://www.byo.com/stories/article/i...-scale-brewing
Thanks for that link! I've been kicking around the idea of doing 1 gallon SMaSH batches the past few days. It couldn't have been better timing.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #117
bguzz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What is the reason why the instructions say that the TAD must be on its side once you connect the tap/cartridges to it? I would like to hook mine up and leave it upright in my brew fridge before I bring it up my regular fridge for a few days and I don't have the room to leave it on its side. Is there a danger to it?

Old 12-13-2009, 04:42 AM   #118
jim4065
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yea - what bguzz said! It's kinda confusing because the MoreBeer pdf said that when force-carbonating with the Tap-A-Draft "Note: bottles must be upright during carbonation." Do you have to lay it down to insert the cartridges, then stand it up for carbonation?
The system seems perfect for me, but now I'm not sure.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:12 AM   #119
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I won't be tapping mine until next Saturday. But, I've been under the impression that you should leave them upright during a normal natural carbonation period to avoid leaking.

-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-13-2009, 05:23 AM   #120
Telix
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Carbonate them naturally upright. Chill them in your fridge. Attach the tap with the bottle upright (obviously), lay it on its side, then insert C02 cartridges, keeping it on its side. Stick it back in the fridge and keep it cold and on its side from then on.

I'm attempting to naturally carbonate with the full amount of priming sugar this time. I'll report back with my experiences. The worst thing about TAD is the way the carbonation changes over time as the CO2 cartidges add forced carbonation, but the extra head space causes the carbonation to change again, and as the CO2 runs out it changes, etc etc. It's very difficult to have a consistent pour from it. I'm hoping a full natural carb will change that.