Imperial Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argentum

Reaction score
I get some great feedback on here, was hoping to get a bit on a coffee and cherry imperial stout I'm trying to brew.
5 gal:
11 lb 2 row
3 lb dark Munich
8 oz carastan
8 oz crystal 90
8 oz chocolate malt
8 oz brown malt
5 oz roasted barley

Mash 60 min at 155

1.5 oz northern brewer 60 minutes
.5 oz northern brewer 1 min

Yeast: Wyeast 1028.

Thinking of adding about 2 oz fresh ground coffee to the secondary and perhaps a pound of cherries or maybe 32 oz dark cherry juice. I'm hoping the crystal will give some sweetness to balance out any tartness from the cherry.

Would appreciate any feedback or suggestions!

I get some great feedback on here, was hoping to get a bit on a coffee and cherry imperial stout I'm trying to brew.
5 gal:
11 lb 2 row
3 lb dark Munich
8 oz carastan
8 oz crystal 90
8 oz chocolate malt
8 oz brown malt
5 oz roasted barley

Mash 60 min at 155

1.5 oz northern brewer 60 minutes
.5 oz northern brewer 1 min

Yeast: Wyeast 1028.

Thinking of adding about 2 oz fresh ground coffee to the secondary and perhaps a pound of cherries or maybe 32 oz dark cherry juice. I'm hoping the crystal will give some sweetness to balance out any tartness from the cherry.

Would appreciate any feedback or suggestions!

Have you used brown malt before? I've had a couple stouts with it in it and i get straight toast. Like, all I'm drinking is a slightly over toasted piece of bread. It was very distracting.

Have you used brown malt before? I've had a couple stouts with it in it and i get straight toast. Like, all I'm drinking is a slightly over toasted piece of bread. It was very distracting.

I have. I don't recall getting that, but I have a little trouble detecting certain flavors if I'm not looking for them and I'd count toast among them. The beer I made got rave reviews. Maybe everyone that tried it likes toast. How much did you use? I used about 5% previously and this comes to about 3%.

I have. I don't recall getting that, but I have a little trouble detecting certain flavors if I'm not looking for them and I'd count toast among them. The beer I made got rave reviews. Maybe everyone that tried it likes toast. How much did you use? I used about 5% previously and this comes to about 3%.

I did use it. I was drinking commercial stouts that have brown malt in it. I couldn't figure out where that taste was coming from. I'm not sure I have the most sensitive palate, but man, some flavors drive me nuts.

I would look at using expresso power to get the coffee flavor, used it in a Coffee Chocolate Stout and it was great.

I love brown malt, I tend to use 10-20% regularly in porter and stout. Plenty of milk chocolate, some toast, lots of heavy malt, etc. As you increase the amount it does become more typically roasty but not as aggressive and tart as roast barley or black patent.

Feedback on your recipe: the amount of roast barley is similar to what I use in stouts, but I do up the Brown malt to several pounds. I'd increase it to one pound here. The brown malt can lend some sweetness too to go with the crystal (I'd say 1lb of brown adds the sweetness of a couple of ounces of crystal 60, so when you use 3lb your beer won't be that dry).

If you worry about whether you'd get on with brown malt, have a bottle of Fuller's London Porter and judge by yourself!

Latest posts

Back