Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Moving the primary fermenter after fermentation

Old 03-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
Tarindel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Moving the primary fermenter after fermentation

My first brew has been in the primary for about 2.5 weeks now, and I'm planning to bottle it on Thursday evening. It's spent those 2.5 weeks sitting in a closet in the back of my house. I want to move it to my garage so I can get it up off the ground for siphoning to the bottling bucket, and in case of any spillage.

How soon before I siphon should I move the fermenter? I want to make sure I leave enough time for any gunk that gets stirred up in the move to resettle before I siphon.

Also, anything else I should be aware of during the process of moving the carboy?

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
StankAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Make sure that you let the carboy sit for at least 2 hours or so to let the sediment settle back down. Some people even leave the carboy for 24 hours or more.
Personally, I just let my carboy sit for about 30 minutes or so when I move mine.

Just go slow nad make sure not to swish it around much. The swishing will not hurt your beer it will just take longer to settle back down.