Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > How did you quit smoking?

Old 03-24-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
Redweasel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default How did you quit smoking?

Going to try to quit (again) after 15 years of 2 pack a day. I already know I'm in for a long fight and I'm going to be a bitch to live with. What have you people tried? I'm very serious abut it this time as it is affecting my health. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:55 PM   #2
Gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I started brewing and couldn't afford cigarettes anymore. Actually went to a hypnotist one time and it worked for me but not the girlfriend.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
kaptain_karma

Recipes 

To be fair, I still smoke, but when I want to smoke and can't, I fold oragami. It's calming and gives me something to do with my hands.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:04 AM   #4
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I used the patches. I did each step for 1 week. I figured if that didn't work, then I would just be getting addicted to the patches. It's been about 15 months now, and I am still smoke free.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm no help. I don't think I was ever addicted. I think it really was a habit in my case. Specific circumstances or behavior chains would make me want to smoke-- but if I never hit any of those triggers I could go for a pretty long time without realizing I hadn't smoked. No withdrawal, no 'nic fits'. Just the occasional 'what is missing here' feeling and getting used to new way I feel when I'm getting drunk without the nicotine high.

When I stopped smoking I just stopped buying them and did that mainly by never going inside a gas station. You see my habit was to start the gas pumping and go inside. I'd wait in line, ask for a pack of smokes and then tell them the pump number.

When I stopped smoking I decided to change that behavior and that pretty much did it. Never by smokes and you can't smoke them. One thing I made a point of not doing is telling anyone what I was doing. I didn't want the whole 'good for you' preachy bull****.

Once in a while I bum a smoke or 2 off of someone when I'm loaded. Still enjoy the buzz that nicotine adds to the drunk. Can live without the smell in my hair though. With as much hair as I have it's a PITA to wash sober-- hung over it seems to take forever.

It's been a while. 2 years? I'd have to ask the swmbo.

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:26 AM   #6
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 129

The patch alone did not work for me. The patch along with "Zyban" did, even though I had no faith that it would work. In fact it was downright scary how easy it was. I was smoking almost three packs a day. It's been 11 years.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:29 AM   #7
Redweasel

Recipes 

Don't think I'll go the hypnotist route, they kinda freak me out. I don't want to end up barking like a chicken every time someone says bullwinkle or something like that. Origami won't work either since I have very large and clumsy hands. I've heard that the patch can work and that might be an option. I'm actually a bit nervous about this since I work in the restaurant industry and EVERYONE smokes, but my health is way too important not to quit.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:34 AM   #8
stever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Weed! seriously, I quit cold turkey and had that to fall back on. Nothing like satisfying that urge to smoke by smoking!! Granted I have since quit that too and caffeine, and soda. Once you quit cigs you can pretty much quit anything.

Go cold turkey and just remember that once you get past a week it will soon be 2 weeks, then next thing you know its 30 days and before you know it, you will learn to hate smoking with a passion.

also try to get a couple new hobbies to keep you busy, it will help.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:41 AM   #9
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1769 Times on 1040 Posts
Likes Given: 1085

I quit cold turkey (well with about a weeks worth of help from the gum) just barely over 2 years ago. I had to get pissed enough about it and it was the money that got me there.
Good luck.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:45 AM   #10
Redweasel

Recipes 

I have heard of Zyban. Never heard of anyone who tried it before, but that is also another option. Grass won't work because I just can't work when I'm high. Damn Evets, congrats. 11 years huh? Maybe the Zyban option. I would like to think that I have the willpower to do this thing cold turkey, but in reality I know that is probably not going to happen.