Originally Posted by gunnyart
4 ¾ lb liquid dark malt extract
1 lb dry dark malt extract
1.5 lb roasted barley
1lb flaked barley
¼ lb black patent malt
1 oz Fuggles pellet hops 4% alfa acid
1tsp Irish moss
S04 dry yeast
I mashed the grains for 1/2 hour @ 160 deg
Boiled the wort for 60 min.
all the hops at the begining of the boil no finishing hops
Made a yeast starter
Does this sound like the Dry Irish Stout that I hope it will be?
What F.G. should I expect to get?
It took 18 hours to get vigerous in the bubbler and it stayed vigerous for two days. Now it's down to about 40 seconds between bubbles. Should I take my next gravity reading?
Won't I get a head of oxygen in the bucket if I take off the lid to take the reading?
I'm planning to go straight to liter size bottles, so would I be advised to let it stay in the primary a while after the hydrometer says its done?
Thanks guys, Art
You have already made this beer so I will make some suggestions for next time. As bradsul mentioned you have a lot of dark malt products there, way too much IMO. Bear in mind that a beer like Guinness stout is made with about 10% roasted barley with the remaining 90% of the ingredients pale malt and unmalted barley. Point is that you don't need to use so much dark product to make a dark beer. Switching the dark extracts for light extracts will still get you a dark stout and you will have a smoother flavor and a beer that won't take forever to be ready to drink. You also are getting minimal imput from those barley flakes. They are not contributing any fermentables without being mashed because you are just soaking out a few starches, gums and proteins by steeping them. You need base malt with enzymes in the mix to mash. Only one ounce of Fuggles in that beer may also not be enough to balance the malts.
Here is another way to approach the beer next time.
2 lbs Light dry extract
3 lbs Light liquid extract
1 lb pale malt
.5 lb flaked barley
1 lb roasted barley
.5 lb chocolate malt
2 oz Fuggles boiled for 60 minutes
Do a mini-mash with the grains, strain & drain then add the extracts and procede as usual.