Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > March Swap ~ RICLARK's Brews

Old 03-24-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
RICLARK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Default March Swap ~ RICLARK's Brews

I sent Brews to JadedDog,CBBaron and Z987k

2X Crimson Ale (Irish Red)
2X Old Town Steam
1 New Holland Local Brew

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 04-04-2008, 01:04 AM   #2
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Crimson Ale

Pours a nice reddish brown. Massive head that lasts a long time. Appears to be over carbonated (about the same as my IPA). A little hazy.

Nice rich malty and sweet aroma

Flavor - malty, sweet, full bodied, some carbonic bite from the over carbonation. A little less CO2 and this would really rock.
Mild hop flavor and well balanced bitterness.

Very enjoyable and easy to drink. Would be even better with a little less carbonation. I love the maltyness of this beer.

Craig

Old 04-04-2008, 05:29 AM   #3
RICLARK

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron
Crimson Ale

Pours a nice reddish brown. Massive head that lasts a long time. Appears to be over carbonated (about the same as my IPA). A little hazy.

Nice rich malty and sweet aroma

Flavor - malty, sweet, full bodied, some carbonic bite from the over carbonation. A little less CO2 and this would really rock.
Mild hop flavor and well balanced bitterness.

Very enjoyable and easy to drink. Would be even better with a little less carbonation. I love the maltyness of this beer.

Craig
Thanks man, I primed with DME and used 1 1/2 cups Ill try less next time.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 04-09-2008, 01:43 AM   #4
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Old Town Steam

Nicely carbonated, light amber color, slight chill haze. Pours a nice head that slowly dissipates.

Slight caramel malt aroma. Some yeast esters.

Taste has some caramel flavors, mild hops flavors and a noticeable lager characteristic.

A think this is not a bad example of a California Common. It is not a favorite style of mine so I am having a hard time giving constructive feedback. I enjoyed the beer but it doesn't make me want to look for more examples of this style.

I think the hops and malt flavors are very well balanced, however the lager type characteristics are too strong for my tastes. This may be to style but i am not familiar enough with the style to comment.

Craig

Old 04-29-2008, 06:19 AM   #5
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

rick, i agree with the baron on the crimson ale but mine was not overcarbed at all if anything it was undercarbed ie not much head but good lacing throughout the drinking session. just slightly on the malty side of balanced but overall a very drinkable brew, wish your kid hadn't tossed the others
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 04-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
RICLARK

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktlupus
rick, i agree with the baron on the crimson ale but mine was not overcarbed at all if anything it was undercarbed ie not much head but good lacing throughout the drinking session. just slightly on the malty side of balanced but overall a very drinkable brew, wish your kid hadn't tossed the others
No worries, I have a old Town steam with your name on it and I re filled your flip top with my imperial Hefe so you will have 2 brews next time I come down.

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 05-01-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Both beers had excellent aroma, color, mouthfeel, and flavor; I really enjoyed them both. The Steam was a bit overcarbed, but other than that these were both exceptional beers.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter