Does this water report do any good at all

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
I kinda already know the answer is no but I thought I ask before calling the water company.
The water company came and sent out a sample to the lab they use. I had a printed Ward report as a sample that I offered the lady to take to the lab and she said they "test for everything" and didnt want it. This is all I got back. It doesn't show hardness and a lot of other things. Should I ask them to come back and retest for all the other things on a ward repot..Aside from a Slightly high PH does this report do any good at all?
Sorry for the grainy pic

Edit:Looking at a ward report would Hardness and Alkalinity be the only real important things missing

20170124_123327_resized.jpg

pretty useless. The pH does tell you that there is a low-moderate level of alkalinity. You need to send off a sample to get a brewing water test done. And you need to call the water company and see if they use chlorine gas or chloramine as the sanitizer. The first is ok with a carbon filter, the second is a PITA.

you can get the above results that you need (pH, chlorine, hardness, alkalinity) from a swimming pool test kit.

I'd say the test results are kinda useless for brewing. It only lists metals, but not the mineral content info you need for brewing.
My township releases a water report online that's fairly informative. I brewed my first extract beer with my filtered residential tap water and the beer turned out OK. The local water is fairly soft, pH 7.8 with low calcium and carbonates, great for light beers. I just add a bit of CaCl, a pinch of Epsom then call it a day.

I think it's odd that they came to you for a sample. I'd think every water supplier tests the source water leaving the treatment plant and could supply you with a general water report with the data you need for brewing.

What are you going to brew? Light or dark ale? Extract or all grain? There is a lot you can do with the water through boiling and simple salt additions and acids without worrying about another test.

What are you going to brew? Light or dark ale? Extract or all grain? There is a lot you can do with the water through boiling and simple salt additions and acids without worrying about another test.
My normal beers are IPA/APA and Irish Reds. Going to try a lager soon....No dark beers..What would you suggest for additions? All grain

First you gotta deal with the chlorine. You can either run it through a simple carbon filter, or you can boil it. Boiling it also helps to knock out some alkalinity. Then you can experiment with a tsp of gypsum, tsp of calcium chloride, 1/4 tsp of epsom salt, and a 1/8 tsp of canning salt.

Latest posts

Back