What's the beer you keep brewing over and over again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Be it because you can never get it right or because your wife loves it, what's the brew your fermenter is tired of seeing? Post/link your recipe to get some pointers or share the love.

I keep doing variations of an IPA

It's basically half and half Vienna and 2 row with different hops, yeast, and procedures. I never get it right.

Then I do a variation of a sour raspberry pretty frequently. Other than that I've done 62 batches of beer and 30 wine and have only repeated a handful of times.

I have brewed Gavin's Helles recipe a few times now... but I just finished a Russian River IPA that was just super.. will def do that again.

My house pale ale template with different hops.

80% UK pale ale, 10% biscuit, 10% C60. OG 1.049, 40 IBU, SRM 11
Single infusion mash at 154F, 60 minute boil
Water Ca 51, Mg 0, Na 0, Cl 64, SO4 37. Mash pH 5.43-46
Hops at 60, 20, 10, 5, and flameout with a 15 minute hopstand at 175F.

US-05 68-70F for one week, cool to 58F on day 8, package on day 12.

i typically brew the same "standards" depending on seasons, but there is always an IPA around. i finally settled on a simple IPA recipe that i playwith.

I brew a cream ale hopped with cascade hops. Big crowd pleaser for craft drinker and non craft drinkers. Also I always go to a Golden Promise, two hop IPA(hops vary depending on my mood and availability).

I brew my house pale ale with a small hops tweak every couple months. I also have a black DIPA that I've brewed twice now with great success.

I have my 'house' beers and generally have one tap for a seasonal beer.
Line up:
Tap 1 - Pale Ale - I don't like IPA's
Tap 2 - Brown Ale
Tap 3 - Dunkel
Tap 4 - Fruity/Flavored Beer
Tap 5 - Something Light (like a Vienna Lager)
Tap 6 - New Recipe or Seasonal type of beer

I have made the beers on taps 1-4 at least 6 times each. I play around with tap 5 and tap 6 is always something I have never brewed before.

I have a dark beer tap and I have a hoppy beer tap. I probably have 15 or so recipes that I've been cycling through over the past few years. Those 15 include seasonals, big wood aged beers, stouts, ambers, IPA's, APA's, porters, blondes, cream ale, etc. I'm sure my fermentors are tired of seeing all of them but my taste buds aren't!!

I have my 'house' beers and generally have one tap for a seasonal beer.

Line up:

Tap 1 - Pale Ale - I don't like IPA's

Tap 2 - Brown Ale

Tap 3 - Dunkel

Tap 4 - Fruity/Flavored Beer

Tap 5 - Something Light (like a Vienna Lager)

Tap 6 - New Recipe or Seasonal type of beer

I have made the beers on taps 1-4 at least 6 times each. I play around with tap 5 and tap 6 is always something I have never brewed before.

I wanna have something like that going

I have been brewing a Rye Strong Bitter and tweaking the recipe each time to see how the tastes change. The batch which is currently fermenting away is:

7 # Maris Otter
1.5 # Rye
1 # Flaked Rye
10 oz UK Amber
10 oz UK Crystal 60L
6 oz UK Crystal 80L

.75oz Brewer Gold @ 60 min
.5 oz EKG @ 10 min
.5 oz EKG @ 5 min
1 oz Fuggles @ 0 min
.5 oz EKG whirlpool for 20 min @ 180 degrees (temp dropped to 160 during this time)
1 oz dry hop for 5 days

Wyeast 1968 fermented at 64 for the first 3 days then slowing ramping to 72 before cold crash and keg.

Not sure if it's technically a bitter but it's my beer and I'll call it what I want! :ban:

I have been doing sort of a mild really regularly. Probably a gallon every week or 2. I finally just got the stuff to do it in keg sized batches, don't know what took me so long. really simple recipe for 1 gallon:

1lb Maris Otter
.33lb carared
Mash ~155
20-30 IBUs worth of whatever English hops I have on hand, for me it is some mix of fuggles, EKG, and Willamette
Nottingham yeast fermented at the bottom end of the ranger

easy to brew, easy to drink, malty and refreshing. I made the recipe as my "band practice ale" so I can have several and still play drums.

I have three. One is an oatmeal stout I've done 5 times and keep refining. Another is an IPA I keep submitting into contests and refining and have done 4 times now. The last is a Pilsner I've done 5 times now and just tweaked again.

The IPA is has been done mostly the same with Vienna, Cara-pils, Crystal 20, and Maris. The hops are Nugget, Centennial, Galaxy, and dry hop with Amarillo. Originally I did them in order 60min, 30min, 10min. Last time I hop bursted and did them at 20, 15, 10. I also use sweet orange peel in the primary with the Amarillo. I swapped the Galaxy for Citra last time due to the LHBS lack of stock. Beersmith has it around 68 IBU's and about 7%ABV with SRM of 9.8, US-05 for the yeast.

Cream of 3 crops

California common

My APA made with warrior and green bullet hops

I have made each of these 5-6 times and they never have disappointed me.

Very few, actually. I like brewing too much to brew the same beer very often. But the ones I've re-brewed, in order from most to least:
Tasty McDole's Janet's Brown
Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops
My own Kat's Meow Christmas Ale
My own Smooth Operator Doppelbock
My own Forever Dark Foreign Extra Stout (making it again tomorrow)

A couple times every spring/summer I'll make a citra hopped wheat that is a great summer beer and my friends love it. I only vary how much citra I use at the end... either .5 or 1 oz each at 10 and flame out.

Yoopers house pale ale with different hops each time to try out the hops. Figure using same malt bill again will let me get hop differences. Have been getting the Two Tracks malt from ritebrew. Two Tracks is a craft malter in N.D.

85% Pale
10% MO
5% Crystal 10
149°F 90 min
Magnum or similar at 60
Falconer's Flight, Mosaic, Amarillo, Galaxy etc. (pick one) 1.5 oz at 20 and Flame out to 70± IBU
WY1272 or WLP090
Dry hop with above
1.065 / 1.012 / Keg / Drink / Repeat

Mix up the hops and / or substitute Munich / Vienna for the Crystal for variety.

I have a porter I really like. Brewed three times so far (all within 6 months)

70% MO
20% Brown malt
10% Amber
mash around 152-154
WLP007

First was with a ton of EKG the others different mixes of Willamette and sterling.

IPA - always changing something a little each time
Schwarz in the winter, Kolsch in the summer
Vienna - always just 100% Vienna because there's just something about that malt I love
RIS - sometimes change it up a bit but usually go with the tried & true recipe
and
Hennepin clone - for my love, keep trying to get it right but I'm not there yet! Many, many attempts. I have some nice Saisons but can't seem to do a Hennepin clone. Yet.

Friends who hate ales love this, and I don't mind it at all! Very drinkable strong bitter

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
16 lb United Kingdom - Golden Promise 37 3 79%
3.5 lb American - Victory 34 28 17.3%
0.75 lb United Kingdom - Extra Dark Crystal 160L 33 160 3.7%
20.25 lb Total
Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
2 oz Perle Pellet 8.2 Boil 60 min 28.82
2 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet 4 Aroma 5 min 2.8
Hops Summary
Amount Variety Type AA
2 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet 4
2 oz Perle Pellet 8.2
Mash Guidelines
Amount Description Type Temp Time
30 qt Infusion 153 F 90 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb
Yeast
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Yeast
Attenuation (avg):
77%
Flocculation:
High
Optimum Temp:
57 - 70 °F
Starter:
Yes
Fermentation Temp:
62 °F
Pitch Rate:
0.5 (M cells / ml / ° P)
292 B cells required
Target Water Profile: Balanced Profile II
Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl- SO4-2 HCO3-
150 10 80 150 160 220
Notes
Pours a deep copper red, bready notes from the Victory, just enough bitter form the extra dark crystal. Very drinkable and this just made my rotation to keep on hand!

Redhook Double Black Stout.

1) SWMBO choice, initially a AHS kit, now on fourth with fifth in the brew queue.
2) Not available locally.
3) Still better than every coffee stout/beer out there, and SWMBO has made me try everyone she has found.

My own Harvest Ale.
It's an APA with 20% wheat and 20% rye. Moderately hopped and dry hopped at conventional levels (no NEIPA hops bomb levels) with Cascade.
Kind of a classic west coast APA with wheat and rye.
It is absolutely delicious and is my go-to anytime beer.

Nothing on-tap currently due to career change and bought and sold homes. I stumbled across a recipe in Beersmith called "Brian's Best Bitter"(long story here) and have almost always had it on tap. Love the taste and MAN is it good. Never knew I was a fan of bitters until I HAD to make this beer. Once I get my pipeline up and going it will always be on-tap. :)

Same here. My motivation for going all grain and taking all aspects of brewing seriously. Ever feel you "nailed it?"

Its changed over the years of course, but in the old days it was my favorite beer

I have come very close, but even my misses tend to be great great beer as well. Always a win to me.

Back