Converting my house IPA to a NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosoup4me

Reaction score
I'm trying to take my house IPA (85% pilsner, 12% Vienna, and 3% Carapils, hopped with Magnum @ 60, Citra/Mosaic @ 10, and dry hopped with Citra and Mosaic, with WLP090) into a NEIPA style.

This is what I've come up with
12# 2-Row
2# Flaked Oats
1.25# Vienna
.5# Carafoam
.5# Crystal 40

.50 oz Warrior (FWH) - 25 ibu
.50 oz Mosaic @ 10 - 6 ibu
.50 oz Citra @ 10 - 6 ibu

.50 oz Citra Whirlpool 30 min - 7 ibu
1.00 oz Mosaic Whirlpool 30 min - 14 ibu
.50 oz Columbus Whirlpool 30 min - 8 ibu

Gigayeast Vermont Ale @ 67°
Dry hop .50 oz Citra, 1 oz Mosaic, .5 oz Columbus for 4 days.​

I plan on reversing my water profile from 2:1 Sulfate:Chloride to 1:2 Sulfate:Chloride.

C-40 is too much. use 15 or 20. drop the vine and replace with white wheat.

your hops are WAAAAAYYYY too low for a NE. For reference, I use about 16oz in a 5 gallon batch for mine. 1 at 60, 6 in the whirlpool and 9 in the dry hop.

C-40 is too much. use 15 or 20. drop the vine and replace with white wheat.

your hops are WAAAAAYYYY too low for a NE. For reference, I use about 16oz in a 5 gallon batch for mine. 1 at 60, 6 in the whirlpool and 9 in the dry hop.

I'll bump all dry hops to 1-2 oz each, I have them on hand.

I have about 4 oz of each of Simcoe, Amarillo, and Centennial would any of these fit the two hops already in there? Trying not to spend more $ on additional hops.

Maybe add Amarillo to flameout and add to the dry hop with it?

I'll take your suggestion to lower the C-40 to C-15, adding flaked wheat but I think I'll keep the Vienna. I just like that malt.

Thanks

Add dry hops a couple of days into fermentation while the fermentation is still active. The latest brulosophy exbeeriment shows how that increases the haze and makes the beer paler. They didn't get a difference in taste tests, but the haze is definitively there!

Add dry hops a couple of days into fermentation while the fermentation is still active. The latest brulosophy exbeeriment shows how that increases the haze and makes the beer paler. They didn't get a difference in taste tests, but the haze is definitively there!

I'm going back and forth on this one. I've read the experiment too.

My only worry is that if I dry hop lets say 3 oz two days into fermentation (Day 3) that when I package on Day 14, which is what my schedule will allow, the hops may produce some grass notes after being in there for so long (total 11 days).

My only worry is that if I dry hop lets say 3 oz two days into fermentation (Day 3) that when I package on Day 14, which is what my schedule will allow, the hops may produce some grass notes after being in there for so long (total 11 days).

Lots of people have never experienced those grass notes. I'd split the dry hops to day 3 and day 10 and go for it. To be fair, I dry hopped for six months once and apart from the EKG having some tea like notes I didn't find it unappealing.

Use dental floss on your dry hops and pull the first dry hop charge out after 4-5 days

In all honesty, if you dry hop 3-4 days into fermentation then you should be able to go grain to glass in 7-8 days. Thats about where I've been with NEIPA's.

Mash at 150deg 60min

8.5 lb 2 row
2 lb White Wheat
8oz Flaked oats
8oz Vienna

.5 Apollo FWH
1oz Simcoe 15min
1oz Mosaic Flame out (let steep for 20min, temp drop from 212 to 175)

Start Whirlpool
2.5oz Citra
.75oz Mosaic
Ran both in whirlpool for 20min (temp drop from 175 to 155)

2.5oz Citra
.75 Mosaic
Again 20min (temp drop from 155 to 138)

Cooled to 68 deg into ferm and pitch starter.

Will dry hop on day 4 (this Friday) with 1.5oz Simcoe and 2oz Citra, and then repeat same 4 days later, let that go 3 days and into keg/cold crash.

This is quoted from a recent thread of mine, revising a NEIPA I made a while back and wanted to make changes. If you start at the beginning of the thread you can see the original recipe, follow it through and see the changes..

I am with you on the vienna. I have used it a few times in my NEIPA recipes and had great results. For this latest batch I dropped Carapils. Also lowered my mash temp. And adjusted hop schedule and amounts. But it may be worth the read, I have this latest recipe in the ferm now, an should be in keg - total of 11 days - So about 16 days kettle till sampling time.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=599203

Water wise pH 5.35 and 2:1 Sulfate/chloride

Since i brewed this just 2 days ago I cant give you an update to my results yet..

In all honesty, if you dry hop 3-4 days into fermentation then you should be able to go grain to glass in 7-8 days. Thats about where I've been with NEIPA's.

I agree. I do a 6.2%abv 64 ibu SMASH IPA with treated water, Mosaic and Pilsen (1/2# carapils too) with nottingham yeast. I do 60 seconds with pure oxygen. Fermentation is always rocking 8 hours later. By day 3 generally just at dip in high krausen I do my first dry hop of 2oz then at day 4 I add 2 oz more. Day 6 I cold crash to help flocculation then I keg on day 7. One week carbing up. The results have been truly exceptional. I believe in everyone doing whatever works for you as there is really NO hard fixed rules in this hobby. For me this works really, really well. The tropical fruit aroma that blast out of the tap is my favorite part. The fact that this is my fastest turnaround house beer doesn't hurt either. Kegs blow fast with this one. So juicy and refreshing.

I'm wondering how you get G to G in 7 days with no cold crash. The yeast never drops out that fast and I get nasty yeat/hop bite if I keg to soon

Latest posts

Back