Hello from Kernersville, NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I took the plunge and bought an all grain system on Craigslist (2 keggles, 2 coolers, 3 glass carboys, 4 corny kegs, grain mill, March pump, wort chiller, etc.). I've never really brewed before, so my buddy helped me out on Saturday. We did an all grain clone of Cigar City Maduro brown. Fermentation started yesterday, so it seems we at least did something right. I'm going to add some cinnamon sticks, raisins and vanilla bean to secondary in a couple weeks. Hoping it's at least drinkable. Next we're going to do an IPA in a couple weeks. I think I'm hooked.

I had a budget of $1000 and was able to get all this for $650. I'd guess there's about $2k worth of equipment so I'm thrilled. I started with a brown Ale because I wanted to do something fairly cheap because there's a strong chance it's terrible since I'm in the learning phase. I've helped brew a couple times, but this was a big learning experience. I will check back in once it's fermented out. I was lucky enough to get some suggestions from Wayne, Cigar City's head brewer, via FB message regarding how he would add the adjuncts. He recommended a muslin bag during secondary fermentation and to taste it every day until it's where I want it. Just hoping it's at least drinkable.

Welcome from Florida! You should share that recipe I really like that Maduro!

John

It's gonna end up around 4%, so it's not a great clone recipe (or I did something wrong in BrewTarget). Here's the one I used. I used Wyeast 1968 instead of the yeast in the recipe because that's what I was told CCB actually uses. Cheers.

http://bxbeerdepot.blogspot.jp/2012/09/operation-clone-maduro.html?m=1

I used to live in that area, but luckily i was able to make my escape.

Only 2 things i miss about GSO. 1 is Bojangles, and the other is Big Dan's Brew Shed (at I-40 and NC-68 - airport exit). Outstanding resource and very helpful to new brewers, plus a huge ingredient selection. Highly recommend if you haven't been by there yet. One of the better LHBS i've seen. Conveniently there is a Bojangles right across the street from Dan too...

Only 2 things i miss about GSO. 1 is Bojangles, and the other is Big Dan's Brew Shed (at I-40 and NC-68 - airport exit). Outstanding resource and very helpful to new brewers, plus a huge ingredient selection. Highly recommend if you haven't been by there yet. One of the better LHBS i've seen. Conveniently there is a Bojangles right across the street from Dan too...

Big Dan's is where I go always. He really is the best. I was actually sent there by the head brewer at Red Oak right after I had started brewing. My boss at the time was friends with him so we went on the tour there and were talking afterwards and he said if I was a homebrewer I should absolutely go to Big Dan. I have not been disappointed with that advice yet.

And yes, I also frequent the bojangles across the street..... :tank::mug:

I bought all my ingredients from Big Dan's. He wasn't there, but I was able to talk to him for a couple hours last month. Super helpful guy. That will definitely be my go-to LHBS.

Welcome from Asheville, NC! Sounds like you got a sick setup out the gate! Wish I had gone that route initially craigslist slays it with the brewing deals!:rockin:

Back