Final Gravity adjustments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paanderson86

Reaction score
I am making an American IPA, and the problem that I have is that I'm having a really hard time getting the OG, the FG, and the ABV to "fit the bill" for the style. I only use dry yeast, and Safale S-04 bring my OG to 1.065 (just right), my FG to 1.019 (too high, and my ABV to 6.0% (in the range, but a little low). If I change to a higher attenuation yeast, Safale S-05, it comes out as 1.065, 1.009 (too low) and 7.3% (in the range, but high).

This is a partial mash with 4 lb Golden Promise, then 8 oz of Caramel 60L to steep and 6 lb of Maris Otter LME.

Any thoughts on what I can do to find the middle ground with my FG, here? I thought about malto dextrine but that increased the OG and ABV as well...

Remember that the estimates of FG from calculators are just that - estimates. You can manipulate your FG by adjusting your mash temp, replacing some of the extract with sugar, etc. Honestly though I see no problem with a 1.065 to 1.009 American IPA. And that is within 2015 guidelines if you're really that worried about a point or two.

Since you're using 2/3 of extract, there's a good chance your FG being a bit higher than calculated.

With S-04 it will be way too sweet.

If you use US-05 the FG will likely be around 1.012.
To get the most fermentable wort, mash low (148-150F)!
Add all your extract at the end of the boil.

What the lizard and pad said! Calculators are estimators, the brewer has a lot of control even in partial mash brewing.

Mash your grains low, 145-147 would be fine. Also you could use Nottingham dry yeast which for my money makes better hoppy beers than either you listed. You could even make 10% of your fermentables table sugar to get a dryer result with 04.

Am I understanding this correctly, then, that extract will leave more un-fermentables than grain does? Also, you guys/gals all sound like you use S-05 for an IPA, which makes sense as it is more clean and crisp. What would you generally use S-04 for? Porters and such?

Here is the full recipe. Please provide suggestions if you have any.

Golden promise, 4 lb, partial mash
Caramel 60, steep
Maris Otter LME, 6 lb, boil

Warrior, 1 oz, 60 min
Citra and Mosaic, 1 oz each, 5 min
Citra and Mosaic, 1 oz each, 14 days
Citra and Mosaic, 1 oz each, 7 days

Will go ahead and use the Safale S-05.

Do not have a secondary fermenter, but have been told recently that it really isn't that big of a deal.

I am not positive as I have never done a partial mash before, but from my understanding, its pretty much a "mini-mash" so you'd want to throw your caramel in with GP instead of steeping it seperately and select a mash temp 148 to 158 depending on how dry or sweet (respectively) you'd want it. And to answer your above question, (again not as familiar with extract/partial mash) but extract is equivalent to a "middle of the road" mash temp so you will have some residual sweetness with it.

Am I understanding this correctly, then, that extract will leave more un-fermentables than grain does? Also, you guys/gals all sound like you use S-05 for an IPA, which makes sense as it is more clean and crisp. What would you generally use S-04 for? Porters and such?

Yes, people often report that beers with a lot of extract do not attenuate as well. Not always, but seems to be a recurring problem. If you want a cleaner, better attenuated beer then definitely go with S-05. I'm not a fan of S-04 but if I use an English yeast it's because I want more of that character - for example in milds and other English browns, some porters. I don't ever make English style pales or IPA's but would be appropriate in those styles too.
:mug:

Re: the recipe as Billy says go ahead and mash the crystal with the base malt, you'll get a bit more fermentable sugars that way. Also IMO 14 days is a long time to dry hop. I'd probably go with either 2 shorter additions or do one whirlpool and one 3-7 day dry hop.

Looks pretty good to me, I don't see an amount but I'd probably keep the C-60 to 0.5 lb, then mash low for good attenuation as already discussed.

Yes, I use S-05 for PAs and 04 for Browns, Porters or English styles other than IPAs.
If you ever go up to liquid yeasts, try Denny's Favorite WY1450 for PAs. It attenuates well, yet leaves a good malty background that balances real nicely.

Another question now that I have brewed this batch.... I did a top off of about 2 gallons after brewing, then mixed/swirled it and took the gravity reading. Came in at 1.056. The predicted value was 1.065. This means that my mash efficiency would have been at 48%. Is that right?? I squeezed the heck out of the bag. I'm wondering if I didn't mix it well enough? Seems like an awfully big drop from 1.065 to 1.056.

Back