Peach Mead / Peach Mead-Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garand

Reaction score
So, I live in Northern Colorado where every summer we have fruit stands that sell sweet and very flavorful peaches. I bought a bunch, and made (among other things) the following. The recipe is inexact, but here goes:

Split Half And Half Between Two 5 Gallon Carboys:

20 Pounds (After Pitting, 10 pounds each carboy) Chopped Overripe Peaches
Water
Enough Ambrosia Brand Honey To Bring Each Carboy To Starting Gravity 1.090
2 Packs Lalvin D47 (i.e. 2 packs each carboy)
Yeast Nutrient--DAP and Fermaid

I started this back in August 2016 if memory serves. This mead has been aging and clearing since then. It finished at 1.0990. I tasted it today (01/22/2017), and wow! its a total Peach Blast, very smooth and a rich full mouthfeel, but unfortunately I also discovered today I'm not the biggest peach fan. This is my first time working with peaches.

Here's where the twist comes in.

Today I was also checking up on a beer I made (again woefully inexact, sorry!):

About 6 gallons total made from:

12 Pounds German Pilsner
2 Pounds Munich, I don't remember the Lovibond Rating, the bin I took it from called it Munich I
1 Pound Malted Wheat
Hallertauer Hops
Big Grande Starter Made From 2 Packs WLP 940 Mexican Lager Yeast

I took a quick taste of this beer from the carboy, and it had a good flavor and a nice fresh-tasting bitterness. So on a whim I dropped into a glass roughly half-and-half of this uncarbonated young beer from the carboy and the peach mead I described above, and I realized this mixture has promise. It seemed like the malt and hop flavor really--I guess you could say "expanded" or added depth to--the peach flavor.

So, what I'm thinking is I could make some more of this beer with some more hops (the bitterness really seems to work well with the peaches at least to my taste) and blend it with the mead to make a peach mead-beer, and maybe add a little acid to help the peach flavor.

I'm also wondering if it would be worth somehow slightly increasing the malty flavor.

Does anybody have any recommendations/opinions? I don't have much experience with beer, but this seems like something that could be very promising.

Many thanks!

I would do a basic kettle sour beer if you are able to and blend those so you have a sour peach kettle sour. That sounds great to me.

You could always also do a lambic with it but that will take about a year longer then the kettle sour. Would be interesting I think though. To me it makes me think about those fuzzy peaches as a kid. This would depend on your IBUs in the beer though as to high the lacto won't be able to work. You could do a 50/50 wheat to 2 row base and this would bring sour and malty to the game.

I made a peach beer last summer, basically a light ale that was added to peaches in secondary, it came out pretty good. I think I used about 1 lb peaches per gallon, much less than your mead. Peach flavor is somewhat delicate and can be overtaken by too much hop and/or malt character.

Back