Stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really all depends on if the yeast has any activity.

For example: I had some Wyeast 1056. That was 2 years old. It took 7 days before the yeast finally came to life. But when it did it went fast.

But typically with a fresh smack pack, let the container swell then put on the stir plate for 2 days-ish.

It really all depends on if the yeast has any activity.

For example: I had some Wyeast 1056. That was 2 years old. It took 7 days before the yeast finally came to life. But when it did it went fast.

But typically with a fresh smack pack, let the container swell then put on the stir plate for 2 days-ish.

Agree with the two days. Afterwards either split among mason jars or crash to be added to your wort.

According to wyeast 18-24 hours; longer than that and you stress the yeast. this is assuming healthy yeast that begin fermenting promptly though, older yeast that takes a while to start would need to be accounted for the lag.

If you made a stir plate big enough to mix your fermenter, could you not aeorate your wort?

If you made a stir plate big enough to mix your fermenter, could you not aeorate your wort?

You probably could but it seems like you'd have to build a stir plate huge enough and study enough that you might as well get an oxygenation set up. To be honest, I have never had an issue with aerating the wort just by sloshing it around while I carry it down to the basement to ferment.

According to wyeast 18-24 hours; longer than that and you stress the yeast. this is assuming healthy yeast that begin fermenting promptly though, older yeast that takes a while to start would need to be accounted for the lag.

I've never had an issue with stressing the yeast, and I'll have it on the stir plate for 3-4 days, sometimes all week, if I'm lazy. I just wait until the wort is milkshake consistency, where it looks almost sludgy and very opaque. Usually takes a day or two, depending on the conditions (I set the stir plate on a workbench in our garage so sometimes when its colder, it takes longer) and the type of yeast (if its something I've harvested, then it may take a little longer).

I'm not one for precision and being exact and I find that one of the great things about starters and stir plates is that they allow for a lot of room for error.

I typically get the starter going the evening before brew day and pitch late the next afternoon. Runs about 18-20 hours. The end results are good, so it must be ok.

Back