First AG Brew super low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imburr

Reaction score
I am brewing a Torpedo Extra IPA clone, basically http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/207091/torpedo-extra-ipa-sierra-nevada

Not same exact recipe though. My recipe states I should have a 1.068 Pre Boil Gravity, and at 165 Degrees my gravity was 1.033. With temp adjustment, it looks ok.

While putting into the fermenter though, I checked OG and got 1.052, while the recipe states I should have 1.081- way off!

Do I try to correct, or let it ride? Been in fermenter for a few hours now, since 7 PM ET on 1/21/17.

One note- I drained wort into fermenter which was like 4 gallons. Then I added my 2L yeast starter, and finished off with about a gallon of H20, which put me at slightly over 5 gallons. When I added the yeast and water, it seperated the beer a bit... and when I poured out some to test OG, I got most of the top stuff. So I have a feeling my OG reading is off.

What to do? Try to add DME to correct, or let it go?

I got a low reading once when I didn't stir in my top-up water. Took my sample from the top and it was 20pts too low. Could be the case here?

I say let it ride. Monkeying with it further might make it worse.

Relax & let it ride. Without knowing mash temp its hard to tell if it was in your process. Make a note to remember to stir before taking a sample next time.

I am brewing a Torpedo Extra IPA clone, basically http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/207091/torpedo-extra-ipa-sierra-nevada

Not same exact recipe though. My recipe states I should have a 1.068 Pre Boil Gravity, and at 165 Degrees my gravity was 1.033. With temp adjustment, it looks ok.

While putting into the fermenter though, I checked OG and got 1.052, while the recipe states I should have 1.081- way off!

Do I try to correct, or let it ride? Been in fermenter for a few hours now, since 7 PM ET on 1/21/17.

One note- I drained wort into fermenter which was like 4 gallons. Then I added my 2L yeast starter, and finished off with about a gallon of H20, which put me at slightly over 5 gallons. When I added the yeast and water, it seperated the beer a bit... and when I poured out some to test OG, I got most of the top stuff. So I have a feeling my OG reading is off.

The linked recipe states the OG as 1.066. Where did you get the 1.081? You're still low relative to the 1.066. What was your brewing process?

Brew on :mug:

Reviewing your notes, Beersmith indicates you were probably off on your pre-boil and your top off water diluted your OG. I show pre-boil your gravity was 1.057 and your boil off plus dilution would bring you down to around 1.054. Of course this is all dependent on the accuracy of your measurements (and my inputs). Your OG is probably higher, but I don't think it would be close to your target. This stuff is normal for a first time. Just let it ride and study up on your process for next time. I think focusing on your mash/sparge process and your volumes would help you adjust and get closer on your next brew.

That is not the exact recipe, this is a SS of the Beersmith Recipie: http://prntscr.com/dypx1o

I did BIAB, 60 minutes at 168 degrees with 5 gallons, then pouring 170 degree sparge water over the bag ball. Then boil for 90m and add hops. Counterflow chiller down to 68 degrees. Add yeast starter, add water.

I did BIAB, 60 minutes at 168 degrees with 5 gallons, then pouring 170 degree sparge water over the bag ball.

I hope you mean your strike temp was 168, not the actual mash temp. Otherwise I think we found your problem.

Yeah I heated water to 168, removed from heat, added grains, covered, and wrapped in a blanket.

Take notes on every temperature, volume of liquids in and out, boil off rate and pre, post and final gravity. It will do loads for you so you can fine tune your process to your equipment.

Take notes on every temperature, volume of liquids in and out, boil off rate and pre, post and final gravity. It will do loads for you so you can fine tune your process to your equipment.

I took notes for everything, though exact volumes are difficult to measure when working with the keggles. Ill be looking to fit it with a volume tube thingy. For instance the recipe called for 6.78 gallons at once point, so I just used 7 gallons. Also my boil off was higher than anticipated, need to look into calculating that accurately.

Back