how long does your 5 gallon corny last before its tapped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayjaytuner

Reaction score
would like to eventually get to kegging. i drink 8 or so beers a sitting on the weekends along with a friend or 2...
just trying to get a rough estimate...:mug::mug:

I'm good at math, so at 14oz or so per beer, I figure I can get 40+ beers out of a keg. that takes me and the missus a week or so at home, or an hour or two with friends at a tailgate.

yea after posting i looked it up, i guess just a "how long does yours last" type a question...i could see that being the same with me..

5 gallons is 640 ounces. If you do 12 ounce pours that's about 53 beers, if you do pint pours it's 40. You should cut back on the drinking a little so you can figure out basic math. If I drank 8 beers in a sitting I'd get to taste them a second time and the next morning I'd wish I were dead.

5 gallons is 640 ounces. If you do 12 ounce pours that's about 53 beers, if you do pint pours it's 40. You should cut back on the drinking a little so you can figure out basic math. If I drank 8 beers in a sitting I'd get to taste them a second time and the next morning I'd wish I were dead.

i do enjoy a good beer from time to time

You should cut back on the drinking a little so you can figure out basic math. If I drank 8 beers in a sitting I'd get to taste them a second time and the next morning I'd wish I were dead.

dumbest post on the internet.

have your husband drink half of the 8 beers and you will be fine. :ban:

(totally not serious, btw.)

Based on the title of this post I would say your beer will last indefinitely before it's tapped. But once it's hooked up to the tap, I give it a few weeks. [emoji57]

This is almost like asking "How long does a tank of gas last in your car?" :smack:

The last 5 gallon keg I tapped lasted 272 days. I have one still limping along at 283 days. No 8 beer sessions for me. (Yikes) I drink 1-2 pints a day. Wife contributes only a little bit of extra consumption.

Keep in mind I have up to 8 beers on tap at a time, plus assorted bottles. So a single product drinks slowly unless I just love it and fixate on it.

This is why I now brew 1-3 gallon batches and have replaced the 5 gal cornies with 2.5 or 3 gallon ones.

Hmmmm...as a homebrewer id say you need a lot more practice. I'd tap a keg in a week easily by myself...but, I've had a lot of practice!

Sonny, I don't think that's where I was going with that...been brewing likely longer than you've been chewing. And still learning as I go...my comment was more on the flippant- or humorous side. Be like the brew and chill.

I brew every 3-4 weeks. So I need to clear a keg in that time frame. During the winter though I brew more and drink more.

Some heated conversation going on about this! :tank:

5 gallons of 5-6% abv beer usually lasts me about 2 weeks. Anything with a higher abv lasts me a little while longer. Of course this depends on how much is drunk by other people and how much I give away.

A 5 gallon keg usually lasts around 3-8 weeks, depending on the style and depending on how much I'm drinking at the time (I go in phases). I'm trying to go smaller and cut back so I like making 2.5 gallon batches last about 2-4 weeks. It's mostly me drinking the beer and I like to do small pours. I'd rather drink a few .25L pours of different kinds, rather than 1 or 2 .5L pours.

A 5 gallon corny could last indefinitely before it's tapped.

A filled corny could still last decades before it's tapped, although the beer inside may be questionable.

Now, AFTER it is tapped, well, that just depends on how much, and how often you drink.

Got a keg setup for Christmas and was surprised at how quickly it went. 5.5% cream ale lasted me and the wife 10 days. The first couple of days I went pretty hard at it though. Having beer on tap in my home for the first time ever seemed almost magical. I'd imagine once the newness wears off and we have more than one keg in the rotation we could stretch it out a month easy.

Back