Hello from Elma, WA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxis

Reaction score
We have a couple guys in our small town that opened up a HB store 2 blocks away from me about 6 months ago. Not quite sure why I didn't notice them until a buddy of mine got a kit for Christmas! Needless to say, we both went down there looking for ideas and supplies, and I ended up with a kit of my own!

Just had my very first brew day today. Based mostly on the recipe from this thread.

Following it to a T for the most part, except I steeped some flaked oats and just added the entire 7lbs of LME to my boil. And I plan on adding some bourbon soaked oak to the secondary. Hoping I didn't make it too complicated for my first run!

I ended the day with a starting gravity of 1.061. Also, my Wyeast 1084 pack never did swell, but I could hear is "sizzling" in there. I pitched anyway at about 72F to start. Hoping to keep it around 68-70F.

Hello Saxis, Fellow Washingtonian here and also new to the hobby. I did my second batch yesterday, before my first batch is even carbonated. I wouldn't worry about making it too complicated. I keep seeing others say that you should keep it simple your first time but that's no fun. Welcome to the forum. :)

Well, it's been 36 hours since I pitched the yeast, and still not much activity. The bucket is pressurized, so I know SOMETHING is happening. I haven't been able to watch it too closely, but I'll see a bubble every once in a while. I bet they are 15-20 minutes apart at least... Getting kinda worried!

I'd give it another 12 hours. It should pick up by then, What temp do you have your fermentor at? if it's mid 60, you might want to raise it up to 70. If that doesn't start it into a frenzy, you are down to 2 options...dump another yeast starter in, or start over. Did you aerate your wort, before you pitched the yeast,,,that can hamper them pretty hard? Just thoughts...

I'd give it another 12 hours. It should pick up by then, What temp do you have your fermentor at? if it's mid 60, you might want to raise it up to 70. If that doesn't start it into a frenzy, you are down to 2 options...dump another yeast starter in, or start over. Did you aerate your wort, before you pitched the yeast,,,that can hamper them pretty hard? Just thoughts...

It's sitting at about 65F now, and I moved it to a warmer spot and got it wrapped in blankets. I thought I aerated it pretty good. Gave it a good pour into my fermentation bucket, and then whisked it with a sanitized spoon. It was good and foamy on top.

Anyway, not to derail an introduction thread, I started one in the beginner's section about it here.

Back