Bottling Time can be Shorter than Recommended

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmegoodbeer

Reaction score
Hello all,

I bottle all of my beers in 750 mL PET bottles. I have always read that the required amount of time for your bottles to carbonate is atleast 2 weeks. I posted a picture of a beer that I bottled a calander week ago, which is fully carbed. I do not usually open one so early, but I am suprised that it is fully carbonated over a week than 2 weeks as suggested. This beer is an 8.4% IPA. There are a couple thoughts of why my beer efficiently carbonated so quickly: 1) with these bottles, I have more yeast in solution vs a 12oz beer bottle therefore more guys to consume the priming sugar. 2) With temperature control, PH control, using the right water, and a healthy fermentation, there is less strain on the yeast therefore they are very efficient at consuming the priming sugar. I know that part of waiting 2 weeks is conditioning (especially with a high gravity) but again, with number 2) as a factor, going grain to glass can be done alot quicker. If I kegged, Id have my beer on tap in as little as a week and a half grain to glass for mid-gravity beers.

IMG_4755.jpg

The two weeks is a conservative estimate, especially if you either secondaried it or let it sit around for awhile before bottling. usually 5-7 days is fine. That said, you want the yeast to form a dense layer on the bottom for clarity, so that will take more time.

Back