When should I begin to Worry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Painter

Reaction score
It has been 24 hours and so far no sign of fermentation.

I did something a little differnt this time. Three days ago I got my starter going, planning on brewing two days ago, but something came up. The starter was doing fine after a day so I put it into the refrigerator (which, according to what I have read here is fine.) Yesterday, while brewing, I took it out of the fridge and let it warm up to room temperature. Could I have somehow killed the yeast?

Anyhow, assuming nothing has infected the wort sitting in the closed fermentor (should I worry about that?), how long should I wait before putting in a new batch of yeast?

It takes a long solid freeze to kill yeast. Refrigeration is the best way to store yeast. Your beer may just be in the growth phase. Is the wort the right temperature for the yeast?

Fermenting in a bucket? Wait another 12 hours then put a bright flashlight on the opposite side of the bucket. You may see a krausen beginning to form. You could also pull the air lock and look inside. Be sure to sanitize the air lock and around the grommet when you do this.

It has been 24 hours and so far no sign of fermentation.

I did something a little differnt this time. Three days ago I got my starter going, planning on brewing two days ago, but something came up. The starter was doing fine after a day so I put it into the refrigerator (which, according to what I have read here is fine.) Yesterday, while brewing, I took it out of the fridge and let it warm up to room temperature. Could I have somehow killed the yeast?

Anyhow, assuming nothing has infected the wort sitting in the closed fermentor (should I worry about that?), how long should I wait before putting in a new batch of yeast?

Sounds pretty close to what I do. It might take a little longer for the yeast to get going, but maybe you take a gravity reading if nothing after 48 hours.

Depending on the type of yeast you've used, it's not uncommon for a 24 hour lag.

But, I used to be one of those that read all the info and posts about letting yeast warm up to room or wort temps before pitching as not to shock the yeast.

From lots more reading and personal experience I have come to believe that this info is absolutely, 100% wrong! I have taken other seasoned home brewer's advice and began cold pitching my yeast. Less lag time and better attenuation every single time since I incorporated this into my routine.

Don't panic, I'm sure your yeast will kick in eventually. If nothing after 48 hours maybe add some simple sugar (assuming your batch had none) to give it a kickstart. Adding sugar as a method is also assuming you're not fermenting at higher temps as this can add some cider type sourness.

*edit: Sorry, just to clarify; You can ramp up the temp later on during fermentation as the yeast will have consumed all the simple sugars early on and will no longer impart a sourness from the simple sugar.

Next time don't be scared to cold pitch, you will be glad you did.

Last edited:
About the only time to worry about your beer us when you are running out. Most of us wasted a lot of anxiety over beer early on. After 10-12 batches you realize it is as hard to screw it up as it is to make premium beer. Most of the time it will run out somewhere in the middle, but drinkable.
RDWHAHB

I've had those moments. Brew, wake up no activity, come home from work no activity, about to go to bed no activity, F it! Throw in another packet go to bed, wake up to take a wizz blowing the top off. smh

Latest posts

Back