Brew day on Saturday - a couple questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
This is my 2nd batch, so still a total new guy. I'm doing a full boil Fat Tire extract kit from NB. I have to add some hops and the malt syrup to the wort at 15 minutes from the end of the boil. I also have some whirfloc tablets and will be cooling with a wort chiller. If I'm adding the syrup and hops at the last 15 minutes, how soon after should I add the whirlfloc? I assume I need to add the chiller at the last 10 minutes of the boil to sanitize it, correct? Thanks for the help. Definitely looking forward to getting out of the kitchen and doing this in my garage with some proper equipment!

Sounds like you have a handle on things. Whirlfloc should be added in the last 5 min. That's what I've done forever. Seems I remember reading that it's detrimental to add it too early.

An immersion chiller will sanitize almost immediately, so 10m is plenty.

Good luck with your brew Joe.

Awesome. Thank you. I know it will get easier each time I brew, but just need to make sure in the beginning!

I use Irish moss and the jar suggests that I put it in at 15m. It is my understanding that Whirlfloc and Irish moss are the same thing. I have also seen other places where people say 10 - 15 minutes left in the boil.

I'm still learning, but based on what I've read Whirlfloc should be added at 15 min (debatable like all things in brewing). When my recipes call for 15 min malt extract additions, I do them at 20 min, add Whirlfloc at 15 (allows added malt extract proteins to coagulate) and put chiller in at 10 min.

That being said, if you're doing a full boil I'm not sure you need a late malt extract addition as your gravity will be fine for hop utilization, so you are probably OK adding all the extract at 60 min (I guess there are scorching issues that may arise). I'm only on my 12th batch so take this advice with a grain of salt.

I've brewed the exact recipe you're brewing, did a 3.5 gallon partial boil and followed steps I've mentioned (added at 20 min). It's bottled and at it's peak (about 7 weeks in) and is pretty close to a Fat Tire, if not better.

Cheers to your second batch. :mug:

This is my 2nd batch, so still a total new guy. I'm doing a full boil Fat Tire extract kit from NB. I have to add some hops and the malt syrup to the wort at 15 minutes from the end of the boil. I also have some whirfloc tablets and will be cooling with a wort chiller. If I'm adding the syrup and hops at the last 15 minutes, how soon after should I add the whirlfloc? I assume I need to add the chiller at the last 10 minutes of the boil to sanitize it, correct? Thanks for the help. Definitely looking forward to getting out of the kitchen and doing this in my garage with some proper equipment!

Another STL local woo! If you got any questions toss me a pm and ill text you what i know. Im "not" an expert, but i make good beer also a B.S. in microbiology doesnt hurt, though ive learned more from this forum and experiene than I did undergrad.

as for your current questions.

ive seen it diffrenrelty with diffrent kits. when I started kits had me steep grains for X minutes. Then I would add in the LME (liquied extract). Then bring back up to a boil.

Chiller you can either

1. sanitize last 10-20min of boil (whichever you like honestly).
2. have sitting in a bucket of starsan and toss in at flameout.

Another STL local woo! If you got any questions toss me a pm and ill text you what i know. Im "not" an expert, but i make good beer also a B.S. in microbiology doesnt hurt, though ive learned more from this forum and experiene than I did undergrad.

as for your current questions.

ive seen it diffrenrelty with diffrent kits. when I started kits had me steep grains for X minutes. Then I would add in the LME (liquied extract). Then bring back up to a boil.

Chiller you can either

1. sanitize last 10-20min of boil (whichever you like honestly).
2. have sitting in a bucket of starsan and toss in at flameout.

Thanks STL bro! I appreciate the answers. I will probably sanitize the chiller anyway, just in case, so it'll be good to know I have more leeway at the end of the boil.

Back