Temp of filtered wort during sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nivroc

Reaction score
Hello! Yesterday finished my first all-grain brew hitting fantastic efficiency of 85%. Hooray:rockin:. The thing that i did not understand however and I could not find this anywhere : I use fly sparging and it is pretty slow(took me about an hour coz i lack equipment). The already filtered wort drops from 168F(75C) to about 145F(62C). Is this normal? Should i keep 168deg in already filtered wort, or only in grain bed? How much can I cool down filtered wort? Maybe even store it to split brewing in half? What is going on in the filtered wort pre-boil?

The temperature of the pre-boil wort doesn't matter after its mashed.
I run off from a cooler into a bucket and put that in the kettle and turn the heat on while I'm sparging. I keep adding to the kettle as the wort comes out and by the time the sparge is done, I'm pretty close to a full boil.
I suppose you could store the wort and boil another day, but it would need to be refrigerated or maybe even frozen or you could set a bucket outside if its cold enough.
But since the wort is already hot from the mashing process, it would make sense to just get it boiling right away.

The hot sparge water should raise the grain bed temp to the point that conversion pretty much ceases. If the temp of the wort then drops, the enzymes have already been denatured and don't continue to work. They don't come back. What most people do with fly sparging is start heating the wort coming out as soon as it covers the bottom of the kettle. It doesn't have to be full heat, but it makes the brew day shorter to get things going rather than running the whole thing off then starting to heat to boil.

Thank you for the answers. Knowledge, that enzymes are already destroyed, during mash-out and sparging cleares things up a lot.

Back