Opinion on Bayou Classic 10 gallon with thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northbank

Reaction score
I'm looking at the 10 gallon Bayou Classic with the thermometer for my BIAB batches. Has anybody got experience with it? Worried that there is the potential for snagging the bag on the thermometer. I was just about to pull the trigger when a friend asked if that was an issue.... this is the one I am looking at: https://www.shopthebayou.com/collections/home-brew/products/4pc-bayou-brew-kettles ... if this is an issue would you mind linking me to a suitable alternative that you can vouch for - $150 is about the limit of my current budget for a kettle. I really have just about maxed out on my spending and a burner and a bigger kettle as my last two items*..

I'm planning on making removable insulation for it out of reflectix and velcro so that I can mash and boil in it.

.... * I keep telling myself this lie

If it were me, I'd skip the thermometer and get a bigger kettle for cheaper. 10 gallons just doesn't cut it for hardly any of my 6 gallon batches.

Bayou Classic 1060 62-Quart Stainless-Steel Stockpot https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VXD94A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If you want a valve, get a good bulk head and valve from Brewhardware.com, and install it with a cheap step bit.

Neiko 10194A Titanium Step Drill Bit, High Speed Steel | 1/4" to 1-3/8" | Total 10 Step Sizes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FZ2UOY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

And don't forget, if you're using a gas burner, you'll need a heat shield for those bulkhead fittings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased a SS Brewtech 10 gallon standard kettle and enjoy it. It has a 10.7 gallon capacity and fits my grain bills just fine for 5.5G batches. It has holes precut for a thermometer or whirlpool if you ever need it, and comes with all pieces needed to brew out of the box. $180 and free shipping seems like a good deal to me and I don't have to screw with drilling holes myself. As the previous poster stated, I'm not sure the thermometer really adds value though. I do like a ball valve. I'd also recommend a camlock and silicone tubing to transfer from BK to fermenter.

Edit: I should add it's also induction capable. I recently moved and lucked into a setup where induction is now an option for me.

I just got the 15 gal Spike Brewing kettle with the 2 welded fittings,both at 1.5" off the bottom, and because it is a coupling welded to the outside, the temp probe is only ~1.5" in the kettle and does not snag the bag. I love this kettle!

I purchased a SS Brewtech 10 gallon standard kettle and enjoy it. It has a 10.7 gallon capacity and fits my grain bills just fine for 5.5G batches. It has holes precut for a thermometer or whirlpool if you ever need it, and comes with all pieces needed to brew out of the box. $180 and free shipping seems like a good deal to me and I don't have to screw with drilling holes myself. As the previous poster stated, I'm not sure the thermometer really adds value though. I do like a ball valve. I'd also recommend a camlock and silicone tubing to transfer from BK to fermenter.

Edit: I should add it's also induction capable. I recently moved and lucked into a setup where induction is now an option for me.

I second skipping a Bayou and going for SS Brewtech or one of the other well known brew kettle brands. I upgraded from an aluminum turkey fryer to a 10 gallon Bayou Classic. Used it for about 6 months and wasn't all that happy with how the wort was scorching and darkening. Whatever you buy, I'd strongly suggest you get a tri-clad bottom.

I know you didn't ask, so forgive me if this is just unnecessary rambling. Another piece of advice, I'd skip the burner and go straight to electric with 120v. If I had known then what I know now, that's the advice I'd give myself.

$50 will be enough to get you a 1500 to 2000 watt element in your kettle. That's enough to boil about 6-7 gallons.

Lots of pros to this approach. No need for a triclad bottom, quiet, brewing indoors is now a possibility, you'll never run out of propane, it's way cheaper to operate than propane, you can brew anywhere there's a GFCI outlet.

The other approach you could take would be to get a Hot Rod from Brew Hardware. I have two and absolutely love them. It would be a touch more expensive than the in kettle element, but the portability would be worth it. You could boil one batch while mashing a second, then move the Hot Rod over to the second when you need to boil it. Back to back batches!

I know you didn't ask, so forgive me if this is just unnecessary rambling. Another piece of advice...

... this is very welcome. I wan't sure 120v would be enough to get a 6g boil going (I'll never want more than a 5.25g final volume), I don't mind if it takes a while. Honestly the electrical side of thing freaks me out as well. It'd be an awful shame to miss up the ground and fry myself :)

I do have GFCI circuits in 3 rooms, and in 3 spots on the exterior or the house so this is really appealing so is not buying propane ...

... this is very welcome. I wan't sure 120v would be enough to get a 6g boil going (I'll never want more than a 5.25g final volume), I don't mind if it takes a while. Honestly the electrical side of thing freaks me out as well. It'd be an awful shame to miss up the ground and fry myself :)

I do have GFCI circuits in 3 rooms, and in 3 spots on the exterior or the house so this is really appealing so is not buying propane ...

From experience, I know it's almost impossible to mess up the ground if you use one of the products from BrewHardware.com. Would require some serious negligence, like just ignoring the third wire. I've successfully wired up both a Hot Rod and a Hot Pod without issue, and I am pretty electrically illiterate.

http://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/hotrod.htm

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/hotpod-ewl3.htm

If you have 20 amp service you could go with a 2000 watt element.

Back