Some questions about temperatures and fermentation :

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrenchNoob

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I apologize for my English and lack of technical vocabulary in advance as I'm not a native speaker.

My father opened a Micro-Brewery last year and I recently started helping him brew on my spare time as the demand for his beer is growing. I'm learning a lot but I still have some questions for you guys.

Here's how we do our thing : He has a Braumeister 200L. Once the brewing is done, we put the beer into one of those and close it.

We then put it in a chamber which is always around 18-20ºC (64-68 Fahrenheit). It stays there for about 4-7 days until this is not moving anymore.

We then take it out to transfer it into another tank (same model), and we do this by using gravity with both tanks wide open. We filter it during the transfer to clarify the beer.

Once the transfert is done, we put back the new tank into the same chamber where it stays for at least 3 weeks (up until 6 weeks sometimes). Let's call this phase 2.

Then, we do the bottling by hand using this and once again by gravity with the tank high and open. We add some sugar and yeast in the tank (he always add the exact same quantity of those but I'm not sure if it's a good thing...).

When the beers are bottled and capped, we put them back into the very same chamber always at the same temperature, for 3 more weeks.
Then we take them out and let them sit (upright ofc) at the ambiant temperature (which can vary between 0ºC and 30ºC (32-86 Fahrenheit) depending on the season) until they are sold.

So here's the thing : We don't have any major problem with our beer. But after reading a lot recently about brewing online, I'm pretty sure we do a lot of things incorrectly and that we could improve some things. The beer is good, but I'm sure it could be better.

Do you guys have any advice for us? That would be very much appreciated :)

Also, since I'm helping him, we're producing much more currently and are running out of place in the chamber. I suggested we could store the tanks in another room which is always around 13ºC (55 Fahrenheit) during the phase 2 to have some more room, but my father has some doubts... Any recommandation here?

Thank you for reading this and have a good day :D

Welcome to the forum!! I'm sure you will get plenty of friendly advice here.

My first suggestion is to start using a hydrometer so you can better monitor when your beer is done fermenting. (I'm assuming you don't, since it wasn't mentioned).

What strain of yeast are you using? different strains ferment better at different temperatures, so knowing that might help give advice on the best fermentation temps.

I would not filter the beer until you are ready to bottle. (others might not agree with me, but that's my thought).

Thanks for your answer ! :)

We actually do monitor our beer with the hydrometer, sorry I forgot to mention it!

Can you explain why you would not filter it until the bottling ? My father said that since adding that step, our beer is much clearer and has less deposit at the bottom of the bottles. Thanks again !

Latest posts

Back