Mash PH adjustment before mash temps reached

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plazola86

Reaction score
Is there any downside to adding all your brew salts and acid to your water, then adding your grain and checking PH before heating to mash temps before conversion starts? My system is eBIAB so I could regulate mash temps after the grains are added.

Is there any downside to adding all your brew salts and acid to your water, then adding your grain and checking PH before heating to mash temps before conversion starts? My system is eBIAB so I could regulate mash temps after the grains are added.

What temperature do you dough in at? I add my strike water at 163 for a mash temp of 152, and don't dough in at a cooler temperature and then raise it. I guess if you're going from a protein rest to a saccrification rest, it'd be ok but if you're going to be at acid rest temperatures that one has me scratching my head on the "why" of it.

What temperature do you dough in at? I add my strike water at 163 for a mash temp of 152, and don't dough in at a cooler temperature and then raise it. I guess if you're going from a protein rest to a saccrification rest, it'd be ok but if you're going to be at acid rest temperatures that one has me scratching my head on the "why" of it.

Does the PH change between acid rest temps to saccharification rest temps? I've read conversion happens very quickly with BIAB since the crush is so fine so making PH adjustments isn't really doing much since your adjusting after conversion has already happened. So say I add my grain at 100F stir well, check my PH and its at 5.7. Make adjustments to bring my PH to 5.2 then ramp up the temp to 152 for the hour long rest. I hope I'm making sense! Thanks for the input.

Is there any downside to adding all your brew salts and acid to your water, then adding your grain and checking PH before heating to mash temps before conversion starts?

Everything you see here assumes that you do either exactly that or, if you dough in at a higher temperature, cool the sample to room temperature before taking a pH measurement. Most probably do the latter rather than the former but some lager brewers dough in cold.

Back