Beets in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZomBob

Reaction score
On mobile so I'll keep this easy. Brewed a beer with red beets and got crazy fermentation. Anyone else experience this?

received_10208118048044564.jpg

No but I had an awesome crop this year and was wondering WTF, they are sugar, right. Lets here more about your recipe and its formulation. I still have ~2lbs in the fridge and would like to make beer with them.

Never done one myself, but Right Brain in Traverse City, MI once made a "Beet Wheat". The beer was a bright red/pink with a pink head. Actually tasted pretty good. You could definitely taste some beet in there, but it was not overpowering.

I've juiced beets with and the flavor is pretty earthy and of course sweet. Remember it has been said, just because you can make beer with it doesn't mean you should.

Mikkeller did a spontanbeetroot beer with beets that was pretty awesome. I was hesitant to try it but it is one of my favorites from their spontan series of beers.

So I think it had something to do with b vitamins in the beets. Acted as yeast nutrient. I put 2 pounds in the mash. After boil you couldn't taste them but the color was there. Doesn't smell bad or beety. This is also a wheat beer.

Yeah RBB has that Shrute Farms Beet beer I recall...... hmmmmm

Beets...

Sugar...

I should look up the b vitamin content in beets. 9 grams of sugar per cup for those interested.

Left out the traditional bitter orange peel and coriander to try and maximize red x flavor.

that looks tasty, what did you do to prep the beets? I was thinking of grating raw,add directly to tun. I was thinking that baking them would add too much earthy flavor.

Processed in food processor. Peeled like a potato first, then halved and processed. Added directly to mash. I biab at total volume so no sparge.

Took 3 bunches to get roughly the 2 pounds I used. Also looked up beets. Contain high amounts of sugar obviously but also phosphorus, magnesium, and b6. Pretty sure that's about the ingredients listed on brew craft yeast nutrient. Makes sense because at 9 days I still have krausen and a lot of action in the blow off tube.

Last edited:
Back