Saison yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exc503

Reaction score
I am looking to brew a Saison, doing some research looks like Wyeast's 3726 is a pretty good option. In my recipe creation I came across Omega Yeast labs, Belgian Farmhouse, as well as there C2C Farmhouse, and Saisonstein. Has anybody used any of these, there is no description on how they ferment, esters, flavors, etc, and I have never used Omega, so any feedback on them in general?

I did some similar research before brewing my first saison late last summer. I went with Wyeast 3711 French Saison. Flavor will be mild-moderate funk, mild spice notes, and give a very dry finish. More important to me, it has a strong reputation of being the easiest saison yeast to use. It doesn't stall out or lack character if fermented a little cooler than ideal like some other saison yeasts. I find the character very nice and would personally only use another saison yeast if looking for a specific character that 3711 doesn't provide.

I'd do a search for each of those strains. There's a few threads on blending saison yeasts in which there's a ton of good info on what each strain is adding. Milk the Funk has a wiki for Sacc strains and a lot of good info in one page on diff strains. Based on other people's experience my next try with a saison yeast will either be YB Wallonian or Saison II blend, or Imperial Organic's Rustic (which is similar to WY3726)

Ill look into those other strains, I tried a search for Omega Yeast labs in general and came up with little info, Has anybody had any experience with them? Also, tried googling for reviews and came up short there also. They have a fairly small library of strains but what they have look interesting across the board.

Wyeast has always worked well for me so I trust their product, but willing to try others also. After some more research, I am looking for some saison strains that are not as picky on their temp ranges, I don't have a fermentation chamber at the moment.

For me Omega popped up on NB, I know we aren't supposed to talk about them anymore, like an ex that cheated on you, but still.

I think I am going to go a different route with this one and try Bootleg Biology's Saison Parfait

I hve a batch in secondary now that i used saisonstein by omega on. I grabbed a smple when i racked and really liked it. Very clean and it really dropped so it was easy to collect off the bottom of the bucket.

Did you use this yeast blend? Curious how it turned out. Cant find many reviews on it.

I did not. Still not in stock. I picked up The Yeast Bays saison blend 2, will use that when i get to brew it up. Bootleg Biology's is not in stock until next month (end of March) with a preorder this coming week, so I may order it and make a second batch.

Back