Nothing but massive dry hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
I read not to long ago that the hidden secret to the ultimate Juicy IPA is Skipping ALL boil hops less the bittering charge and MASSIVE dry hop like 10 OZ for a 5 gallon batch. Then I read someone mention it again and then again. It goes way against the norm of 4 or 5 oz max dryhopping.Not to mention the boiling hops being eliminated. Then I got to thinking the "old" way was hopping throughout the boil. Recently its been all about the whirlpool with great success. Could it be pushing it even further and a mega dryhop is the way some of the commercial beers are just exploding with hop flavor without the bitter. I've read people mention dry hopping is not just aroma and actually imparts flavor,not just perceived flavor,but actual flavor.Which again goes against the accepted way of thinking. I think I might give this a go. Maybe like 2 oz WP and 8 oz dry hop before going all out dry hop.

What are your thoughts?

boil + late + steep + dry

layer the flavors. it's too 1-dimensional if you only do one of them. you can stack them differently though depending upon what your desired outcome is though.

I don't do juicy or "north east" IPA, but have been playing with the combination of whirlpool/dry hop/keg hop with good success

when im judging beer at homebrew comps, there were several ipas that end up with a bizarre and totally unpleasant miso soup character, asking what caused it, the master judge i was judging with said "way too many dry hops." Dont know if thats true, but there may be a limit.

I'd take that 10 oz. and use 2 at 5 min., 3 in the whirlpool, and 5 in the dry hop. I have been skipping whirlpools lately though in favor of simplifying my brew day and chilling quicker.

I just did a batch of 3oz FWH, 5oz whirlpool @ 170 and will be a 5oz dry hop. No boil hops is definitely a thing. have seen very few people mention doing that large of a dry hop though.

Magnify brewing in fairfield, nj recently did a dry hopped only ipa, and supposedly it was pretty good.

I think for northeast, its about the type of hops, the whirlpool, the hard water, and the dry hops... and the yeast!

...I think for northeast, its about the type of hops, the whirlpool, the hard water, and the dry hops... and the yeast!

Haha. So everything?

I'm making one this weekend. I just need to figure out what to do about water. I'll be starting with RO, but haven't figured out what needs to be added yet.

Haha. So everything?

I'm making one this weekend. I just need to figure out what to do about water. I'll be starting with RO, but haven't figured out what needs to be added yet.

Haha yeah pretty much, I haven't attempted one. I'd like to give this style a try at some point. Also another key feature is not to filter.

At the moment, I just like to dry hop my IPAs with the 'tropical hops' and unfilter and see how they turn out..

Latest posts

Back