Kona wailua clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbrew

Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forums, I did a BIAB partial mash big wave clone as my first batch over 2 weeks ago, in the secondary ferment now and it tastes very close to big wave and my specific gravity seems just right. I plan to keg this Saturday and start my next batch Sunday. For my second batch, I want to do a kona wailua clone. I couldn't find an exact clone other then suggestions of 60% 2 row and 40% wheat malt. To keep it easy, I went with 6lbs 2 row and 4 lbs wheat malt. This puts me right around the correct estimated gravity and abv. Provided I get about 65% efficiency or better. The only thing I'm unsure about is that the brew should have passion fruit added. When should the passion fruit be added? At the end of the boil? When starting my primary ferment? When doing a secondary ferment? Also any advice on how much passion fruit I should add?
Thank you all for any advice

I've never worked with passionfruit so I wouldn't guess about quantities, but I always add fruit after fermentation is done. My favorite is to juice the fruit and add it to a cold keg. That slows fermentation way down so I get more of the fruits flavor instead of fermented fruit flavor.

Ok, I found another thread, suggesting about 10oz of fruit.
So I may go with fresh fruit as planned, but I'm considering using pure guava juice as I found this relatively inexpensive at the grocery store, or I may use pog juice powder. I'll post back what I use and how it comes out.

Grabbed a couple of containers of guava nectar from the grocery store for cheap. Undecided if I'll use it, has a good taste but only 16% juice and and it's a bit sweet.
Seeing as it's sweet, if I do use it, would I want to add it before the ferment? Or should I still add it after ferment?

Always after. The yeast will kick back up to ferment the added sugars but the less off-gassing you have, the more aroma stays in the beer.

Excellent, thank you.
I had a couple bottles of miller lite in the fridge (still waiting for my current homebrew to carbonate), and I put an ounce of guava nectar in a glass, with the miller lite, (I know different then a wheat beer), but it was pretty good, a little strong though, so I might do the guava nectar at a ratio of .5 oz per every 12oz, leaving it about 26-27 oz of guava nectar to a 5 gal batch. So I guess I'll do a guava wheat rather then wailua. I'll report my findings here.
Thank you all for the support and advice.

Back