No more shaking for oxygen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekcw83

Reaction score
Could this be a solution to shaking the hell out of a 5 gallon glass carboy???

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=162348136421&alt=web

I am not sure you could sanitize those properly so you'd be bringing a lot of critters to the party

"KEEP AWAY FROM FOOD OR ANY SOURCE OF HEAT OR FLAME. HARMFUL IF INHALED OR SWALLOWED AND FLAMMABLE. KEEP IN A COOL DRY PLACE AND ALWAYS KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN AND PETS"

If it's good enough for fish, it's good enough for fish...I always say. :)

I would very much doubt it. It's also gonna put a load of "minerals" in your beer at the same time. Likely much more than O2 itself.

Instead, get an aquarium pump and a 2 micron SS aeration stone or one of those Oxygen bottle setups with a 0.5 micron stone.

I don't know if they would work or not, but the warnings in the description would turn me off to using them in something I was going to ingest.

It looks like it's made from potassium chlorate. Which then gives off o2 and leaves behind potassium chloride. I suppose the question is how much o2 can be derived without altering flavor too much with the leftover KCl?

To much KCL can throw you into a heart arrhythmia... with how much beer I drink I don't want to worry about that also :mug:

I suppose someone with more chemistry knowledge could tell us how many grams of KClO3 it would take to give us ~10ppm o2 in a 5 gallon batch, the resulting ppm of KCl, and the ppm level that becomes dangerous for humans?

KCL is really only dangerous intravenously, it is lethal in larger doses, as is anything. Its pretty much like table salt, although slightly more toxic, which is also not good for you in large amounts either.

KCL is really only dangerous intravenously, it is lethal in larger doses, as is anything. Its pretty much like table salt, although slightly more toxic, which is also not good for you in large amounts either.

Any idea on what quantities or ppm it becomes dangerous?

I found out it would take 200g in 1 sitting, to be lethal by mouth. Intravenous is totally different. So it appears to be safe. Question becomes how many grams I need to oxygenate adequately and how is the leftover kcl going to affect taste? I highly doubt that 1 few gram tablet would drastically effect taste. But would that oxygenate the wort enough?

I don't shake anymore. I found that pouring through a funnel did enough as far as I could tell.

I've suspected this as well. Though those out there with DO testers have shown that shaking for 2 minutes versus 1 minute doubles oxygen ppm. And unless I have a really hoppy beer, going through the funnel only lasts 30 seconds to a minute.

As an aside.. potassium chlorate is a weed killer and fireworks oxidizer although isn't used much for that anymore except in smoke compositions. Hope that helps with the decision to use it in beer.

If one was looking to try an oxidizer that was a safer for human consumption.. how about hydrogen peroxide. It's by product of decomposition is water.

I thought of that as well. Just not sure how much gas can be produced from the liquid

I've suspected this as well. Though those out there with DO testers have shown that shaking for 2 minutes versus 1 minute doubles oxygen ppm. And unless I have a really hoppy beer, going through the funnel only lasts 30 seconds to a minute.

The only question I had. Would it be detrimental? It wasn't. Taste is good and yeast takes off in the same amount of time. I question the necessity in smaller batches.

I will say after my pour I usually have foam to the top.

Even if these tabs did work, why pay money for something you can do for free thats not even hard or very time consuming?

Even if these tabs did work, why pay money for something you can do for free thats not even hard or very time consuming?

I don't particularly enjoy doing the carboy shuffle. If its possible to attain double oxygen ppm with zero effort (or additional equipment), why not? At this point I'm just curious if its possible

Is worrying about oxygenating the wort one of those old homebrew myths that won't die?
Some side by side experiments have shown that you don't need oxygenation equipment for homebrew to get good results. I don't worry about it, and just dump the entire contents of the kettle into the fermenter. No shaking, it seems to work just fine.

I don't particularly enjoy doing the carboy shuffle. If its possible to attain double oxygen ppm with zero effort (or additional equipment), why not? At this point I'm just curious if its possible

I guess I just give it a little swirl for maybe 30 seconds and never had a problem. I have even had active fermentation thats led to blow offs in the past. *shrug*

Back