Mimicking Macro Mashing Techniques in a Homebrew Setting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetalMike144K

Reaction score
This is my second post on HBT. Forgive me if I have posted in the wrong place. But, my question is (regardless of cost) is there anyone that has experience mimicking the mashing techniques of macro breweries?

I have heard on here that the big breweries will mill their malts to basically powder and mash this and filter it before boiling to get 90%+ extract. I am just interested in this for the scientific sake of it since it intrigues me. Being a homebrewed "engineer" I would slowly, over time, develop a way to mimic this process but want to get feedback from people on here that have done anything like this and willing to share some insights.

Negative feedback won't keep me from trying it but will give me points in which to consider working around. I like inventing things and might get a chance to develop something for homebrewers one day.

Thank you in advance to any who desire to help with this.

Mike

Brew in a bag will allow you to crush to almost a flour and skyrocket your efficiency.

You could definitely use a mash press (a la Alaskan Brewing Company) in conjunction with BIAB if you want to engineer such a thing. I doubt the bag could handle the sheer forces, though. The big guys use hammer mills, but we just grind fine.

The closest we get is squeezing the brewing bag, but that has a marginal recovery over just letting it drip out.

Back