• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Other Free bottle caps!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmooney1028

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for anyone in the USA or Canada who wants some free bottle caps.

I'm trying to work out how long it takes for these to get to you after I sell them and if there are any issues with customs/etc. (They are being sent from the UK).

I'm only looking at sending a few and only one per state so its a case of first come/first serve.

I'll be sending 50 26mm crown caps out to you.

Very noble and innovative idea!
I just hope the shipping isn't going to put you in the poor house.

I'll yield my state's participation to someone else.

Great idea! If you need someone else in NY let me know. I'm in Canandaigua, NY and would be up for some free caps and provide any feedback in return. PM me if you would like my mailing address.

Send me a letter instead, save some shipping and it should be around the same time if you send it the same way,

Chicago Illinois suburbs here.

I see another TX post, if you. If you need two, I'm in Houston TX. Given the size of our state, we're farther apart than most cities it the northeast!

Missouri here, I'll help and don't mind if you'd need something to help cover shipping costs.

Bravo to you! You're the first one to offer something in return.

This whole idea by the OP still seems weird to me.
Am I the only one who sees it that way? What exactly is the motive? Has anyone heard back from this guy yet?

If you've ever mailed or shipped something from the U.K., you'd know the hefty fee it demands. Postal service there runs a lot higher than here in the U.S., especially for mailings abroad. Mailing small packages, containing 50 caps, from the U.K. to the U.S., I estimate will run £2-3 each. Mailing a simple letter domestically cost 90 pence (£0.90), last time I checked.

Totally get that you think its wierd, and when something doesn't seem right then it probably isn't. Let me explain a bit more:

I own a small business in the UK, with the whole Brexit thing and the value of the pound dropping against the dollar what I sell can now be competitively priced in the USA - effectively a new market has opened up.

Before I even look to see if there is interest for what I sell I need to work out all of the ins and outs, for instance:
- how long doesn't it take for what I sell to get to various parts of the USA?
- would the end user have to end up paying a charge to get it through customs, etc.
- are there any issues I'm not thinking of?

To answer these questions I have to test by sending a similar product through to various areas. These tests cost me money, but that's part of business and if a new market opens up as a result it will pay off, if not then I lose money. It's just the way it works.

Sending a letter thorough would not have the same issues as a parcel would.

Horpfully that explains things a bit better - I'm not selling anything and I'm purposely not mentioning anything about my business or what I sell as I don't want to break any forum rules.

Anyway, I'll be in touch shortly via PM to those that want the cap.

(Thanks for the kind offers to pay some towards it, but as I said: this is a test for me and all I want in return is feedback on how long took, any issues, how the package arrived, etc.)

Many Thanks,

Lee

Thank you for the detailed explanation behind your philanthropy. It does put my mind at ease to know your motives.

I truly wish your venture works out the way you envision it, and you can at least recoup your investment and hopefully turn a decent profit.

I find offering something special, unusual, or something that makes it stand out helps in selling product.

For example, a few years back I bought a whole bunch of bottle caps from my brew store. They must have been a factory overrun, unused inventory, or whatever, but what made them attractive was the print on them: Imported from Baltimore [...]. The city/area we live in. Sadly, I only have a few left, but I also don't use a lots of caps anymore since I started kegging. They certainly beat the common silver or "golden" caps, even the solid color ones we get here. Those all scream homebrew and IMO not in a very positive way, something lacking about the presentation.

Wishing you best of luck!

Ok, I've sent out messages to all those people that are lucky enough to get some free caps sent to them. Unfortunately, if you haven't got a private message by now then you won't be getting any free caps - i can't afford to give away too many! :) :mug:

Rock Hill, SC
I would love some free caps and to help you iron out some business details.
I dont think I saw anyone else post from SC

Back